The 6.5-284 obviously has some intrinsic accuracy advantage over the 270 Winchester judging simply by the number of competitive LR shooters using it and the number of records it held/holds. Never seen a 270 Winchester at a single match, not one. I also perused PS magazine match reports for several years and not a single one showed up. That doesn't mean it isn't accurate just not to the degree that some of the other chamberings are.

There is no reason why someone couldn't make a 9 twist barrel and shoot 160 grain VLD 270s in it if it was so good. Unless the factories switch to a 9 twist we will never see a good selection of 270 bullets for long range work. Who would buy them if they won't shoot in a factory rifle and nobody in their right mind is going to try and compete with one unless trying to prove something.

I will say this, I know gunsmith here in AZ that has chambered a number of 270AI and although it gains little in velocity, they have proven to be quite accurate. Might be something to that!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.