Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by FreeMe

IMO, no one should be touching a tool to a ramp or a barrel unless they have the skill and the tools to check if the geometry is correct.
Been throating barrels and polishing feed ramps for decades, I don't have any tools to check if the geometry is correct. Honestly, I'm unaware of any such tools.

No geometry changes should ever be made. Polishing a feed ramp involves taking as little metal off the feed ramp just to remove any machine marks up; geometry shouldn't come into play.

Throating a barrel that has not been throated means taking the throat that's already there and carrying it up about 80 degrees on either side. The geometry of the throat never chances, nor should there be any less support on the case head. I will check with a fired case periodically, but it's a visual check (you I can eyeball down to a thou).

Kevin, I figured y'all would know I'm not talking about that kind of work. Maybe you haven't noticed as many posts as I have where guys have taken recent production 1911's and as much as admitted to removing enough metal to change the depth, angle, what have you, of the barrel throat and/or frame ramp. Maybe I exaggerate the frequency of it - but I bet for every reported incident, there are several others.

And all I'm referring to is simple measuring tools and math - and the knowledge (or references) of the proper measurements (which would result in the proper geometry). Probably bad terminology on my part.

I know that you know it doesn't require the use of power tools to remove a little burr or minor machine mark (ridge). And I know that you know the difference between a raised edge and a gouge. I'm definitely not speaking to the actual gunsmiths here.

And I fixed that last line for ya, BTW. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.