Originally Posted by MT2000
Do think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond out of a 30-06 is fine for elk? I'd like a single load for my 30-06 that can be used on anything from deer to elk and I think a 165 grain bullet would be a good weight for a wide range of game. And do you think a 165 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond would penetrate through an elk's shoulder?

So far I've taken 3 elk, all cows, with a .30-06. Two were with a 165g North Fork and one with a 150g AccuBond. No drama, just elk dropping straight down at the shot. The one with the 150g AB was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil. The other two dropped at the shot as well. One got back up a couple seconds later and I immediately put another into her which put her down for good, hastening the inevitable. The last disappeared in fairly tall sage and struggled back to her feet when we found her a few minutes later. She was too hurt to move and I gave her a finisher from about 10 feet.

Pick whichever one shoots best from your rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.