8mm-06?
Who cares?

Cost a lot of $$ to convert a war-era mauser into a sporter. Got your own reamer and barrel vise? DIY is pretty easy. Paying a gunsmith to pull barrel, improve the chamber etc is several hours of work. Setup in lathe does take a while... Okay, so you spent $125 or closer to $250 for that, then there's bolt handle bending and drill tap scope mount holes, plus cut down and crown the barrel. Maybe you got the old 8mm dimension which is iirc .317 rather than .323.... Kinda screwed then...

Where ya find a "cheap" Mauser these days? Is $300 cheap? For a decent one? Are they worth more in the longrun in orig configuration?

Can buy a Weatherby in .338-06.

Can also buy a .338win and load it on the mild side and be ahead of the game.

Better bullet selection with the .338 bore. Factory loads too, and correct headstamp brass for when it matters, like on your African trip...

.30-06 seems to be just fine; in fact lots more workable unless you need bullets heavier than 220gr.

60gr of xmr 4350 in the .338-06 with a 230gr bullet, or same load in a .338win with a 250gr bullet.... What gives more flexibility? Can shoot cast in a magnum also.

Think I would go .338-06 AI were I going to choose one, but I do have a die set, reamer and a rifle I just haven't improved yet... The .30-06 AI I also own seems to do everything I could ask without going to a magnum.