Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I remember the "Good 338 Federal loads" thread where we compared a lot of notes on loads. You've certainly put your Federale to good use. Congrats on some great trophies.

It was your playing with the 160 TTSX and AA2230 that first got me to thinking about the potential. Realizing it was the most accurate load in my rifle, and zipping along along at ~3030 FPS, I decided I needed to try it. With my handful of data points, here is what I have surmised: The 160 does not penetrate quite as well as the 185 TTSX or other premium heavy bullets such as the 210 Partition or 200 gn Trophy Bonded Tip. It does penetrate as well as the heavier cup & cores that I've tried including 200 SST, 200 BT, 180 BT. However, the 160 does more internal damage than the 185 TTSX (only thing I can compare to). My PH was quite leery of this bullet at the start of the hunt, but in the end he changed his tune. In fact, his only complaint, and that of the skinners, was that the 160 did far too much meat damage. As for the penetration, the only time I expected a pass through and did not get it was on a short, broadside shot on the Waterbuck. However, it did center punch ribs coming and going, took about a 6" radius hole out of the side of the heart, absolutely turned both shoulders to mush and then the bullet was under the hide on the far side. It had opened to .73"! Seeing how thick the hide on the Waterbuck was, it did not disappoint me that it did not exit. The only other shots I did not get exits were a chest shot on an Elk and quartering shot on a Gemsbok where I hit the point of the shoulder. I would not expect exits on those. No problem passing through the Kudu, Impala and Blesbok. All had massive internal damage. So, in summary, while I think I lose a bit of penetration, which would rarely matter, I think the 160 actually kills better than the 185 TTSX. Speed and getting that thing to open wide really works.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 07/22/14.