Homesteader, never meant to imply that a Ramline and some of the cheaper fac. synthetics are in any way the equal of a really quality stock, but with a little work they can certainly be made adequate. Like bsa said, pillars and a careful bedding, usually requiring a mechanical bond with some anchor holes goes a long way. I have never bought a replacement stock hoping to get better performance out of a rifle. It's got to shoot or be capable of being made to shoot and when it has proved that, I may get an aftermarket for it to save a little weight, better handling, or even appearance. About the only exception to that was a M77 MII Utralight .308 that I bought new here on the 'fire. It is a Talo special that came with a beautiful circassian walnut stock and I knew I wouldn't be taking that into the woods. I was able to get the last Ruger fac. syn. with the ultralight barrel channel that Midway had. Got the angled pillar set from Stocky's and that tupperware has worked great. Put a Krylon desert tan with black webbing paint job on it and it looks decent to boot.