Originally Posted by CraigC
Off-hand groups at 5-10yds and seat of the pants impressions aren't really going to tell you anything meaningful. What you need is bench testing or a Ransom Rest at 25yds with a variety of loads.

If a guy and a gun can produce sub 2" groups off hand at 15 yards, it's likely that either or both is capable of even better bench rest groups. So it's a bit over the top to suggest the anecdotal evidence is meaningless. I agree, that a sampling of the top brands of guns and ammo coupled with a ransom rest would be more meaningful. Still, starting in the 80s or thereabout, the vast majority of gun writers quit shooting "defensive" guns at 25 yards, either because they themselves, or the guns weren't up to the challenge. It's about the time when the "defensive accuracy" terminology started getting bandied about. My personal requirement has nothing to do with bench rested groups. If my defensive pistol can't keep every shot in the head of a target at 25 yards, off hand, "IT" isn't up to the challenge.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain