Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As in all retail businesses, a dealer has to buy low, sell high to stay in business. He can't give you top price for your trade-in because he can't mark it up enough to make a buck.

Yeah. I got that and I'm all for it. It's the American way.

But I'm old enough to remember when a dealer worked off the same line in the book for his vehicle as he did for your trade......... given the conditions of both vehicles are similar. If you want "high trade-in" for your trade that's fine. But expect to have that considered against "high retail" on the dealer's vehicle. Likewise if you insist upon low-balling the dealer's asking price into wholesale range, you could expect to receive wholesale for yours on trade.

Few weeks ago I stopped by a reputable & respected local used car dealership. Was looking to trade an '05 Expedition with good miles in very good condition on an '04 Tahoe with lower than average miles and in similar condition to my Ford. Their asking price was very nearly high retail. what I was offered on trade was rough trade-in or a bit below. That has just become general practice around here anymore.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.