Kutenay liked them hot, but I had to look thu my stuff to find a quote from the good guy. I was wrong, he ran them at 2,800 fps which is still pretty hot but puts a thumping on anything I'd imagine eek

Originally Posted by kutenay
Yup, mine with a relatively heavy mounts/iron sights setup I made up from various commercial parts and in roughly 25 oz. synthetics run about 8.75 lbs, all up, empty.

With my usual load of 250s at 2800, this is about as "light" as most folks want a .338WM and my slightly lighter Dakota 76 is about 8.5 lbs and I wouldn't have one any lighter than that for serious field uses.

I have packed many .338s for many, many long miles in BC's mountains and in the Alberta Rockies, as well and they CAN BE "too light", especially pushing the 250s that the round was really intended for....as "EK" told us and he was right.

If, you do get it stocked with a "plastic handle", you might well find that it drills 250 NPs AND Hornady ILs into the SAME .7" at 100..........this gives one a WARM feeling.......

Originally Posted by kutenay
Yup, that's the one, have four much like that, but, two had broken stocks, almost MINT metal and so I bought them for, welllll, let's just say that I hastened to pay what the owners asked......

The factory stocks are clubs, not worth bedding, although I did my original when it cracked in the web between the trigger and mag. mortises. I did so for largely sentimental reasons and it has nice lumber, as well.

When, you put a GOOD synthetic, one that FITS YOU, on one of these and a "KickEez" pad, you might be amazed at how they shoot, all of my four and the re-blue I used to have would go under MOA, with 250s.

My nicest one, hardly used, but, typical stock crack, in it's Borden-Rimrock, will put 250 NPs at 2800 into .6" at 100M and it's matching mate, same stock, very close serial no. is almost as accurate.....they KNEW HOW to build REAL rifles back in the day.

As I said in the PMs, you got a very GOOD deal on that and shoulc get a Micky, Talleys, Brockmans, then you will get the maximum utility out of it. BTW, in wet climates, I always wrap mine with black, vinyl electric tape at season's start and take it off when finished.

Funny, tho', these are hard to sell here, many are beat and reblues and yet the newer Mod. 70s seem to attract the buyers more. I recently had my nicest pair and my really fine pair of the .375/,300 in on consignment and no one seemed really interested.....black guns, tho', here in Vancouver, seem to just fly off the shelves.......different world, from when I started.

Anyhow, best of luck and many good years with it! smile

Hopefully Kutenay doesn't mind me posting his quotes, but his words of wisdom about the 338 Alaskan are pretty encouraging for a guy thinking about making this purchase..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA