Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yeah,Safarimans Africa pics are worth drooling over.

Like to go back and get an Elephant,Cape buffalo and Leopard,along with Eland and a smatterin' of various species. smile

Forgot to add,would love to get a bull elk like that!

Thank you! Another long, hard fair chase hunt that finally went my way after several tries. Since shooting that bull and getting the mount up, I am now and forever more a meat hunter when it comes to Elk. Cow elk are just SO fine eatin! No room or need for another big bull. He was my one elk that I wanted, as was the nice Mule Deer in the pic. With them on my walls, I now shoot eatin deer and such. Took many years and miles to find each.

I hope you get one like that, or better, as well.

On both, after so many miles afoot, driving and flying, too many cold, cold mornings, and only one opportunity to take the beast of my dreams I was not ABOUT to trust the shot (both at some distance) to a small rifle, regardless of twist, BC etc. I wanted put 'em down NOW power. Super high velocity Barnes TSX's did them in right nicely.

Good luck in your hunts and search!
Safariman,since I have not killed a bull elk yet,any size would be a wall hanger for me! wink All I can do is put in for a bull elk tag here in New Mexico and hope I get drawn for a tag.

Like you,one bull is all I want.

When I get the tag it'll be a hard choice to which rifle to use,as I have .300 H&H/WIN/Wby mags,4-.30-06's,.338 Win/RUM .35 Whelen/Norma and a .375 H&H. Whichever I chose I'll practice with it until the hunt. I love the Nosler Partition and it's my go to bullet when it's "crunch time."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken