I got a new Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 two weeks ago. Like I would with any new rifle, I checked fit, bedding, screws, etc. I got some great tips from Shortactionsmoker. Thanks SAS. I had a short delay because Scheels ordered rings for an 8400. I got the few tweaks done and mounted the scope in short order.

What a sweet rifle! It handles and points extremely well. I'm digging the light weight. I am learning that the light weight makes it a bit more of a challenge for me to shoot well. I have a whole list of excuses -
It's really light weight.
It has a rounded stock.
I don't shoot from a bench. Prone from a pack or bipod.
My bipods don't fit the stock very well.
It's been hot.
It's been windy.
It's been rainy.
Basically I suck at shooting groups. Much rather ring steel.

Even with all those excuses, I'm very happy at how easy it is to make hits with it. I got it zeroed at 200 yards with 162 SSTs grouping about 1.5" if I don't screw it up. Best powders so far seem to be RL15 and H414.

I got my load info for the 162 SSTs entered into Ballistic on my phone and shot some steel at 445, 583 and 708 yards. Got mostly hits. A few misses at 708. Pretty sure I'm going to use this for cow elk this fall.

I ended up having the afternoon off today. I took the Montana and a .260AI out. It was raining pretty good the entire time but I sure enjoy shooting this little Montana.

[Linked Image]

Hope it doesn't melt. [Linked Image]

Got this one wet too.
[Linked Image]

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"