I have been asked the "What should I get" question a gazillion times.
My responses -
1 If you can train yourself to blink for a split second when you pull the trigger a shotgun is a perfect self-defense weapon inside a structure. Muzzle flash in a small area - a hallway, bedroom, etc will blind you for too long if your eyes are open when all that burning gas lights up the darkness.

2 Unless you have earplugs in you will be stunned by the muzzle blast of almost all large caliber handguns, rifles, and shotguns.
TRY IT in a closed room sometime. I did, years ago and decided that my .41 magnum S&W was a lousy choice for defense inside a structure.

3. Over penetration has been pointed out - rightly so. I like my neighbors and do not want to shoot any of them while trying to stop a bad actor.

4 After suggesting several books, training facilities, and videos about self defense with guns I suggest that - please don't react until you have thought this through - they get a 10 round capacity .22 LR pistol or 9 shot revolver that is ABSOLUTELY reliable - that YOU and any other persons who may need to use it - is well trained and shoots the weapon a minimum of 100 rounds twice a month. As a "back-up" to the handgun I suggest a Ruger 10/22 with an extended magazine and perhaps a folding stock.

Get a watermelon, put it at 25 feet, put ten rounds of CCI Velicitor into it as fast as you can and remember that humans are 80% water. My wife trains herself to draw, squeeze the laser on-switch, and put five rounds into the head of a man silhouette target in four seconds. I would NEVER allow my best friend and cohort in life risk herself if I believed that there was great risk involved.

Your choices - and they are difficult. Good luck.

Terry