The real question seems to be "Does FWP manage by dollars or by wildlife?"

This isn't the same F&G we had 40 years ago. I believe that we have more environmental people in FWP than hunters. That being the case, it would only make sense that the game would be managed to the advantage of the game, not the hunter. Although the regulations don't seem to mirror that philosophy, I really don't think that the FWP is a bunch of accountants either.

Deer numbers are down, Elk numbers are very stable, Moose are almost gone around the Greater Yellowstone area. There are lots of influences that affect game populations as well as tag sales, but I don't think they are mutually compatible.

About 4 years ago a bunch of Sportsman groups got together to put a ballot initiative out to eliminate the Outfitter sponsored licenses for out of state hunters. There is an undeniable gap between what sportsmen want vs what Outfitters want. To eliminate the sponsored tags was to get more hunting opportunities for residents and to stop the concept of the state subsidizing the outfitting business with those tags.

Since that initiative passed, the out of state sales have not made quota. Before that, there were no NR tags available. I don't think it is the economy as much as how well the outfitting business had clients lined up for hunting. As those tags go unsold, it does leave a deficit that didn't exist previously and that hasn't recovered.

Will it recover? Who knows, it will take time to wash out. In the mean time we need to be better informed on what the game populations are vs tag allotment and give input to what we have for FWP to help keep Montana's game managed to a level we have come to enjoy.

I have lived and hunted Montana all my life and I can tell you, other than moose populations, all the game in Western Montana is more abundant than it was in the mid 60's...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]