I am just a shade tree hobbyist when it comes to guns. Wonder if one of you skilled fellers can answer a question re a butt plate installation?

I am installing a curved plastic butt plate on a BRNO ZKW-465 stock. This is a custom piece of walnut and the arc of the butt stock matches the arc of the butt plate perfectly. However, when the butt plate screws are tightened, I have a slight gap for an inch and a half on one side of the plate between the butt plate itself and the stock. I don't have a table router/drum sander to mess with the arc of the butt stock and in any event its damn near perfect. In fact, it may be that the plastic buttplate is a tad warped. I sanded the stock down with the plate installed, so I have a perfect transition from wood to plastic all the way around, except a small gap in this one area.

What can I use for filler that is black and would fill that tiny gap between plate and stock and give me a seamless look? Could I coat the butt plate with release agent in that one spot and then put a little Marine Tex in the gap? The other option would be to mix up a little sanding dust and epoxy and fill the gap with that. Not sure which fix would be the least visible.

As the installation stands right now, I have a perfect mating on both sides of the butt stock with the curved butt plate except for that one spot maybe an inch and a half long. And its right in the middle of the span between the screws so tightening the screws does not cinch it up. I really hate to mess with sanding down the rest of the butt stock anywhere to close this small gap. I think that would ultimately make my fit worse by creating problems elsewhere.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 08/23/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.