Sir,
Not a gunwriter, but I do have the opportunity to kill quite a few different animals from say 4 lb fox up through 300 lb hogs. I've taken both hogs and white tail deer with 40 gr. V-max out of a 20 caliber rifle at ranges under 100 yds.

I'd say distance and shot placement were key.

Recently shot hogs on two different occasions with 70 gr. Sierra Blitz out of a 6 x 47. Blitzes are not noted for their penetration. Both were 30 yds. or less. They dropped at the shot. Would I take the aforementioned shots at ranges over 100 yds. Not unless I was reasonably certain of a CNS shot.

IMHO, if you could guarantee ranges 150 yds and under and a textbook shot placement I'd say go for it. If not then no. JMHO. Your mileage may vary.

I tend to be sure and use enough gun and bullets that will leave holes that leak going in and out. I like the CT Ballistic tips in 8mm and 338 cal. @ 180 and 200 gr. respectively. On game 300 lbs and under they always exit.

The Nosler Manual points out that max velocity for Ballistic Tip is 3200 fps.

Though you might not achieve that velocity, a 100 gr. Barnes TSX, 100 gr. Partition or 110 gr. Accubond would definitely work and give you plenty of penetration.

An old mentor had a saying. When you know you know and you know you know confidence replaces fear.

Don't know how often you get to hunt speed goats, but why not hunt with a rifle bullet combo that will meet the challenge of whatever you encounter if you do your part.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.