Recently picked up a Ruger 77/44 to complement my SBH. It is light, slick and plenty accurate for its purpose. I am keeping it iron sighted and will probably take it hunting this year with the SBH.

Lately, I've been perusing info on the .444 and it sure is tempting. I won't go into the whole .45-70 vs. .444 debate b/c the reason I'm looking at the Trip is for bullet uniformity.

Stanton's three part article on BTB really whetted my appetite. Can't find brass but my local SW has dies and factory ammo (expensive) from which to obtain brass. MS got superb accuracy from his marlins with heavy cast which is what I would be aiming for.

Is it a worth chasing or am I better off being happy with the Ruger which will certainly do the job and with less weight? Is the .444 just redundancy with added recoil?

Sure seems like it would be a fun cartridge to take up Muley/elk and/or bear hunting in the timber....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...