Top speeds are never a bad thing in my book. And without high velocity, indeed faster twist is sometimes needed. Actually, RPM is the deciding factor of stabilization. Twist is merely one part of the equation. It is used because it is easier for Joe Hunter to understand and to paste on the side of a box of bullets. But recommended twist rates are not written in stone. They are merely generalizations of what will work MOST of the time. Of course the handloader can often stabilize a bullet recommended for a faster twist simply by adding a bit more powder/velocity to the equation. The key is to choose a powder that achieves max velocities on the lower end of the pressure spectrum.

If you haven't tried the 270gr Speer in your 444 you are missing out. It is a far tougher bullet than the 265gr Hornady. They work excellently at 444 velocities. Penetrates deeper and retains more weight than the Hornady. I have compared the 2 side by side many times. No contest. Great for deer/blackies. Extremely reasonably priced as well, especially for a bonded core bullet. The one I recovered on the off side hide of a 300lb. black bear still retains 92% of it's weight. The 300gr Uni-Cor is just more of a good thing. Expands a tad less, drives a tad deeper.

I think they call them Deep Curls now.....