Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Excellent post gmsemel. I was worried my rifle wasn't accurate enough, but it falls in the "1.5 inch group" category. It's pretty consistent, but not as good of a shooter as my 30-06 (or any other big game rifle I own, for that matter)....

[Linked Image]

Not real proud of this group, but it should get the job done if an elk presents itself. Since the OP was asking about loads, this is the one I'll be using this year. It's not the norm H or I 4831 JOC load, but I have tons of IMR 4350 on hand and running low on H4831. It is what it is...

That's just no good! All but one shot missed the target. smile

I know. I was shooting all around it like horse shoes and hand grenades grin.. I was really reluctant to show that pic, but the op was wanting some loads. Generally the rifle shoots right around 1 moa for 5 shots. Like someone else said, elk are big critters. That's a good thing laugh

Here are a couple groups from my '57 fwt. The groups are circled. The lower one is with 53 grains of IMR 4350 and it is 5 shots. The upper group I changed my POA to the top of the red dot. 9 of those shots went into less than 1 inch (barely) and the last shot went way high to open the 10 shot group up to 1.401"... sick..:
[Linked Image]

Here is the rifle:
[Linked Image]

A little more info on that load:
[Linked Image]

My other 270 shoots this load alright as well (almost 1 moa 5 shot groups):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also tried the H4831 in the XTR fwt, but I haven't found the right load for it yet:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0864_zpseb5ebed8.jpg[/img]

Not an excellent shooter, but I think it shows some promise. These 270's have been fun to work with. I was just in the shop looking at some 150gr. grand slams that should work pretty good on elk as well so maybe next time I'll try to work on some loads with that bullet and see if the 2 rifles like them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA