I bought this rifle off the Campfire Classifieds some months ago and it arrived as advertised. Between work and other projects have not been able to attempt a sight-in until this past weekend.

After firing an initial shot at 25 yds, the rear sight was raised to bring the point of impact closer to the target. Another shot, not much change. The rear sight was again raised to near the absolute limit for elevation travel. Another round at 25 rounds resulted in a centered hole some 4 inches low. Okay, lets try a group at 50 yds...after a great amount of dirt and dust, it was found that the 50 yard groups were 6 inches low and slightly right of center.

I am not a rookie at this sighting in game, as I keep all my weapons zeroed at the desired distance. Finding out that the "new" Winchesters are not even able to be zeroed with the factory sights is quite disappointing.

Sure, it can be fixed with a new rear sight that has more elevation adjustment, or a lower front sight, but one should be able to expect that the basic sights issued with a new (not cheap) firearm would be capable to zeroing within "minute of barn door".

Add to this that horrible trigger and the ugly cross-bolt safety, and I have new candidate for the most despised gun in my collection. Look for it to be on sale soon.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23