The 5th day, Monday, finds us going after a nyala that Marius has seen a few times, but I think he said he looked for him many times but saw him 3 or 4 times.
he got real excited talking about it. Mentioned the shape of the horns and said he was big, but the shape was very unusual.
We walk right past many LARGE trophy nyala going to the spot he had found him a few times.
We get there and a couple are in the saddle but not him. Then, it happened. Marius saw him on the opposite and he was looking at us. Game over.
We eased on out with Marius thinking we'd likely not get another crack at him. I told him I didn't want to shoot one of the others even if they were a little bigger because
he wanted me to get this one and I was ahead of schedule on killing animals and could invest a couple of days looking for him.
So, it's decided we go to another area and hunt a blesbok for Lana.
Stalk, stalk, stalk. crouchwalk, crawl. Lana sits with short sticks and shoots the blesbok basically center body.
Hurt, but not close to being ready to die. the others in the group leave him. We move and set up on him again but just as she was about to shoot, it ran.
We covered ground quickly and Lana is out of breath. She hands me the rifle and says "finish him".
Marius and I dead run to get to a knoll/cliff face to get a shot at him in the last open area before the bush will swallow him.
He is running, I shoot and hit him, slowing him down. He stops.
i raise the rifle again with a gimme shot....... but..... click.
One of the guys had been toting Lana's rifle and had removed bullets a couple of times and left only 2 in it without me knowing.
I said a bad word. But then got a further away shot and finished him off.
Afterwards, I apologized for the word I used. (I''m a preacher, btw)
Marius answered "You know, when I heard that I thought I must have said it. Couldn't imagine it coming from you."

Here's the team effort blesbok.
[Linked Image]
Notice the nice scar down his nose. Old boy musta been a real fighter.

Last edited by rphguy; 08/26/14.