Originally Posted by CCCC
Barak makes interesting points, and I agree with some of them. But, I don't agree with his position that "the reason there's looting is because there's no expectation of justice". That explanation could make sense in a more knowledgeable, more sophisticated and well-modulated social setting.

However, most of the people doing the looting there (and on other such occasions) seem to have little or no concept of a reasonable justice system and related expectations - or even a rational concept of what most others consider a civilized social setting.

I believe that such looting stems from a basic learned entitlement mentality, greed, financial envy and opportunism driven by a sensational event. It is sociopathic behavior. Sometimes they go to looting after NBA championship games.

Given such cause and opportunity, folks in that condition often are triggered to riot and loot because they see the way clear - "grab it while I can" - and they know, possibly instinctively, that their immediate numbers can overhwelm the victims as well as the police, at least for a while.

They are somewhat like predators in the wild - opportunists that, in order to survive, have to gauge the threat to themselves should they prey on a victim. Consequently, when faced with normal social justice responses (armed shopkeepers, police with water hoses, clubs, dogs, gas bombs, firearms and handcuffs) the looters do gain some sense of "justice", their opportunism diminishes and they retreat.

However, as a body, they seem to learn nothing through the experience. That is really sad.

I think what you say is right...but I still say that if there was an expectation of justice, there would be no looting, or at least that it would be much more contained.

Why does a looter loot? Because he thinks he can get away with it. Why does he think he can get away with it? Because no one will stop him. Why will no one stop him? Because there's no expectation of justice.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867