Originally Posted by rattler
i actually liked the sidelines about Hunter, ive read all his books....alot of Bells are hard to find or expensive....only have one on the shelves....

If you don't have Karamojo Safari, then you should try and get it. It is his best one in my opinion.
Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter has a lot about dealing with the native peoples and so forth, it was a collection of articles that he had written for Coutnry Life.
Bell plainly felt it didn't quite get the emphasis right, and with his second book he addressed the lack that I found in the first one - in that their wasn't enough about what the day to day safari life was like. So he wrote 'Karamojo safari' which is about one single safari that he did in (probably) 1906. It may very well have been the first time he used the 7x57, although he does not say it.
I like this book the best, it's pure elephant hunting out in the unexplored African wilds, and I enjoy rereading it every year when I go out red stag hunting, listenining to the red deer roaring at night while I reread my WDM Bell....

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain