Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Dude why in the world 10 shot groups. I would never put that much heat in my barrel like that. Is the guy trying to fight a war or something. What in the world is the purpose. I am not surprised at all by the group. Tell him to stop it ain't good on the barrel

Couple of things.

1. You don't have to get your barrel hot to shoot a ten shot group.

2. Three shots is a very poor predictor of where the next bullet is going to go.

You'll have to see it for yourself to believe it so take your favored rig and load and shoot a three shot group. Let the barrel cool and shoot another at the same POA so you're stacking groups. Repeat until you have ten shots at the same POA. Report back and let us know if the ten shot group is as small as the 1st three.

I have a prediction. It won't be. Three shots can tell you if you have a poor load but it will not tell you if you have a good one.

John

Amen Hondo. It's apparent many guys here have never participated in any "slow fire" comps where you put 10 shots downrange. 10 shots in (lets say) 10 minutes is not going to hurt the barrel any more than 10 cold bore shots on a warm day. Id also bet taylorce1's rifle is extremely capable with the right person behind it. I'd also add that you don't need a matchgrade bullet to shoot sub moa 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't understand the discussion...you let the damned thing cool down when it gets too hot.

Bingo Bob. You put it so elegantly.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA