Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I had a Benchmark 3 groove...

wow. you sure learned a 'lot' from a sample of one and 200 rounds.

Well I did learn that a 3 groove is a poor choice if one wants to shoot the best production LR bullets (Bergers). Would you be happier if I made the same mistake twice???? crazy

Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have several friends and acquaintances that have used Lilja 3 groove barrels. All of them have had issues at low round counts with Berger bullets. Why subject yourself to this when you can get a 4,5 or 6 groove and never have to worry. I agree that there is not really much of an up side to 3-groove barrels and lots of down side.

I have a 300 WBY with a 12 groove barrel. It lasted 3000 rounds before I pulled it off. Was still shooting about MOA @ 200 when I pulled it.

I wouldn't use a 3 groove unless it was for cast bullets myself.
If you go by the Campfire thinking of Google/Adblocker plus - why in the hell should I have to go to a 6 grove barrel just so I can shoot Bergers? It's the only bullet I have this issue with. Berger needs to change!

Good Gosh, the dominant bullet manufacture in LR competition "needs to change!" because 3 groove barrel are poor choices????

Get real.

Hang a picture of anything you have killed with any bullet. Lil Fish has a better chance putting up a sheep or grizzly and we all know that is not happening. laugh

You've obviously missed the wailing and gnashing of teeth over some ads here on the Campfire and some people's absolute refusal to accept the very free and effective fix for said issue (chrome with adblock plus makes this place sing). They continue to complain that they shouldn't have to change a damned thing on their end to run a free website they pay absolutely nothing towards the running/upkeep of.

The correlation I was making was that some people think that the Campfire needs to be torn down and rebuilt completely because MAYBE 50 guys out of 50,000 have an issue and refuse to go with the fix.

Much the same as saying because 3 groovers are hard on Bergers, all 3 groovers are crap and not worth anything. Which ignores the fact that some people simply do not shoot Bergers nor wish to which makes that situation a moot point. Berger may have a reputation as being an outstanding LR bullet but it's not like there's Bergers and then there's Powerbelt muzzle loader bullets with nothing in between. If a guy so chooses he can run some outstanding LR bullets like the A-Max or Scenar in his 3 groove barreled rig and be rather okay.

Their desire to rebuild the campfire oddly doesn't transfer over to the raising of pitchforks and crying in the wilderness at Berger to make their wares conform to their gear choice there either. They've changed their gear to work with the Berger but won't on this site.

Regardless of how you feel about Larry - dude does shoot a ton and he does shoot a lot with 3 groove barrels, I'd say he connects enough to see that a 6 groove barrel and a Berger isn't the ONLY way to skin a cat.

YMMV....

Me