Originally Posted by huntsman22
children can be trained.....

yes they can indeed Don, most of them anyway

but not all

tis why I purchased the lil gun safe for momma's handgun

I used to fondle my dads firearms when he wasn't around.

mainly his .243 and his Ruger MkI

I was forbidden to do so, but I could always ask to see them in his presence and he'd get them out and allow me to handle them.

and I'd had the hide removed from my azz by his belt for lesser transgressions. frown

I've no doubt that would have seemed gentle if he'd caught me fondling those firearms, but he didn't. And he was pretty damned sharp.

I've raised my kids the same way, anytime you want to see one just let me know and we'll look at it. Oldest boy used to wear me out looking at firearms. But him and his lil brother were never a bother to do much that they'd been warned away from.

my daughter otoh was just like me. Hard headed, temper, not much afraid of anyone or anything and the rules don't apply to her. God but she made me pay for my raising.

just based on my own actions a yute, the lil handgun safe and the big safe seemed like very cheap insurance, insurance you only have to buy once is always cheap imo.

I'm not proud of what I did as a youth, but the truth is I did it, and fortunately I had enough of a working understanding of the firearms that nothing bad ever happened.

every firearm in my dad's house was loaded.

I got lucky, didn't feel like pushing my luck with my own kids.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.