I've only shot the ballard-rifled version, and the only thing I'd change on the barrel is the twist rate. It does stabilize 300gr cast slugs well enough though.

Haven't tried jacketed heavier than 250 Sierras, and in penetration tests with OSB and milk jugs, the bullet started to yaw. 240s of many flavors shoot very well, and perform very well on deer. The effective range with 240s is at least 2.5 times the 100yd shots that are the farthest I've taken on deer.

The crossbolt safety is not a huge issue, as long as you're aware it is there. The hammer still has a half-cock notch that I use, and I only use the safety occasionally, because of the possibility of a click instead of a bang.

My biggest gripe with the gun is the multi-piece firing pin assembly that requires an alignment and good oiling to prevent light primer strikes on my gun. Not sure if many others have this issue, but I know that there is an aftermarket one-piece assembly to solve it, so a few must have complaints. I've been wondering if a heavier hammer spring would work as a fix too, but haven't pursued it.

All in all, an awesome timber gun, and my favorite to carry when hunting. Plenty of power with proper bullets for anything on the continent.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.