You guys all have tougher hands then me!

I had a 3" SP101 and fired a cylinderful of factory Federal 158 grain HP loads as fast as I could one day. Five shots were all I wanted to shoot at that level, it was like getting slapped in the hand with a swung baseball bat each time. I can see doing it in an emergency but only in an emergency.

It was okay with moderate handloads, in fact one of its redeeming features was that it shot to the same POI with any 158 grain bullet whether from a .38 Special to those full power loads. However 125 grain bullets would shoot a full 14" low at 10 yards.

That one experience soured me on any of the lightweights unless it was for low to moderate loads only. As emergency only pieces they'd be okay but I'd rather get proficient with something a bit heavier that's easier to handle and more fun to practice with using its duty loads. Even a GP-100 isn't obtrusive to carry all day in a good belt holster, that's what I carried in the field, that or a 6" S&W 586.

That's just my opinion but I offer it as a counterpoint and something to think about. You might see if you can find a place that rents handguns and try an LCR in .357 before buying. If you're good with the recoil then that's okay, if not then you've saved money that could go to something else you might end up shooting more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!