Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Your thoughts? Experiences?

Depends on the recoil. Depends on the sighting system.

I like the softest pad I can shoot without the stock and recoil pad compressing so much the scope hits me in the head.

Example: I had 2 different 700 XCRs, one in .375 H&H, one in .338 RUM. I had 2 scopes ... not merely identical, but the same scopes got mounted on both rifles at different times, one a Leupold 2.5-8X, the other their 3-9X. The .375 would occasionally brush me with either scope but never gave me a hard hit. At least 2 of 10 shots with the .338 RUM would smash the scope into my skull hard enough to ring my bell. (I even eventually tried a scope with over 5 inches of eye relief and still got hit.)

Both had a lot of recoil but both were manageable so far as my shoulder was concerned, it was the hits to the head I didn't like. I got rid of the .338 RUM after a while. In hindsight, I suspect I could have made it work if I'd gone with a little stiffer stock and a firmer recoil pad. Yeah, it would have hit my shoulder more, but I was not to my tolerance level there. It might have saved my noggin.

What I picture happening is that under very heavy recoil with a soft pad, you've basically got an inch less eye relief with the scope than you'd have with a hard plate. If the stock is flexible under extreme recoil, as I believe the XCR stock was, eye relief is compromised even further .. regardless of what the scope starts out with.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...