Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Dang boy! That brings back the memory of firing my .500 A-Square for the first time.

I bought the rifle in 1996 from the original owner out of California. He had never made it to Africa so wanted to get rid of it. Once it was here I put it on a baby scale and with four cartridges weighed exactly 11 pounds 4 ounces. I telephoned Art Alphin at his old facility in Kentucky to ask him what this thing would do to me. He told me it recoiled like a .375 H&H due to the large area of the butt. Okay, I have a .375 H&H. Art lied. It was something I cannot even describe. Kind of like your photo; it is better than words. Dang!

Every time I hear someone say the 500s are more of a "push" and their 300 Mags recoil is more unpleasant I start to laugh. I have a friend who has a 6 lb 338 Mag and he was thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it. I let him shoot my 11 lb 500 Jeffery and he said "you're right, my rifle doesn't kick much, I don't need a brake"

smile

Yeah, I think the comparison between a 300mag and a 500Jeffery is too much of a stretch - there's just too much recoil energy from the Jeffery.

I have fired a 300WinMag and a 375H&H mag in the same rifle (Brno 602s, both the same vintage) and the 300WM's recoil was less pleasant that the 375H&H. I could bench shoot the 375H&H all day but gave the 300WM back to my mate after a couple of bench shots. They did have the old ventilated rubber style recoil pads though. I suspect the outcome using the modern CZ550 magnums with their soft pads would be a different story though.

The 602 .300WinMag I had years ago had heavy barrel and stock shape designed to emulate those found on old english porting rifles ie nice looking but useless. When average fellow mounted the gun they were looking at back of the bolt shroud. As expected despite 9lb+ weight the gun was hard kicker. I hated the set trigger and backward working safety latch as well. The only good things about the gun were the express sight blades were well regulated and magazine held five or perhaps even six? cartridges.
I do like my old Winchester 70 super .30. The gun handles well and due to sufficient weight (7lb14oz) I do not need recoil pad which is the way I like it.