Generalizations are often just that. Now I could say that Toyota owners like to poke fun but are not all that enthusiastic about getting it thrown back at them. Buuuut, since I also have a Tundra that wouldn't go over all that well.

Now re my elitist colors; I never would have considered an Outback until I spent three days Grouse hunting out of one a best Bud had just purchased. Had nothing to do with the cars image and everything to do with its practicality. Gas milage averaging around 28mpg around town and highway. Had a set of dedicated winter treads put on and it is amazing in snow and will go places that the Tundra starts wheel hopping. Rides pretty smooth on the highway and has a stellar crash rating.
If practical equates to elitist than I'm guilty.

As far as the Dogs. I realize you have three and they are big, so putting them inside could be a problem. I'm presently looking for another English Springer or English Cocker, but it will be the rare occasion the two would be in the back of a pickup. Safety is one issue and another would be having to be running slow and them sucking in the exhaust fumes. In addition to me aways knowing how they are when inside the vehicle.

You had a great hunt in what looks like some great country, and I've only handled one Merkel and it was sweet. Hope you have many more.

laissez les bons temps rouler