Originally Posted by Pappy348
Practice, experience and skill cannot overcome the variables I mentioned as they are totally out of the hunter's control and cannot be predicted or compensated for. I may be wrong, but you seem to be one of those that regards a hunting license as an excuse to whang away at anything you can see, regardless of the consequences. Someone with the experience and skill to make shots like that likely wouldn't need advice on cartridge selection.

As you clearly have your mind made up as to the feasibility and ethics of the matter, all I can wish you, without much hope, is clean kills or clean misses.

Not once did I say I am going to run out and start shooting at animals at that distance immediately. It is also a choice to shoot in windy conditions or not. I personally would avoid shooting at an animal in even light wind at real long range.

About your statement regarding the hunting licence, you are completely wrong. I have probably done more conservation that you ever have or ever will (do not just assume things). I clearly understand that animals feel pain and that when you shoot at any animal you should make sure of your shot. When hunting forms part of a job of course you are going to shoot a few animals throughout the year.

I cannot understand what is wrong with asking questions regarding cal choices either, this is one of the reasons to join a forum, to find out what others have experienced and weigh up your options (in my case). Why does anyone ask any questions regarding any cartridge on any of the forums then? But as you said earlier, if you do not like the idea of long range hunting then it is your choice to post or not post in the section or on other long range forums.

This should have been a separate topic regarding cartridges and ethics as I just wanted information on cartridges.

Pieter