Originally Posted by RatFink
I am the guy that gave George the lead in Helena. I did as many of you described and in my mid 20's I packed up and moved 1,800 miles away from everything I ever knew and settled in Montana for an ok job. That was in 2006. Now many dead elk, deer, ducks, and roosters later, I have a very good gig working as a professional in local government (It's the State Capital so you Governement haters can GFY).

Helena has a lot of good paying jobs and for someone working in the IT field, there is a lot of opportunity both private and public sector. There really is no downside to living here if you are an outdoorsman, and the winters are a freaking cakewalk in Helena.

The one thing that George has done right thus far is to work his network so that you, RatFink, offered him a lead.

Believe me, otherwise, in today's market, he is going about it wrong to generate the kind of position he wants. I have been there and done that myself. I had to redirect my approach completely.

Now I realize that it is all about networking and personal references. Headhunters, job applications, working through the HR department, etc. is not the way �� unless you like pain with no results.

George, look at "Ask the Headhunter" website by Nick Corcodilos (www.asktheheadhunter.com), subscribe to his mailing list, maybe buy his books and by all means look at the back posts on his blog. He tells it like it really is. Nick spells out how you should conduct such a search �� and what is a waste of time.

I am just about to report the results of my own plan to relocate my family to the Western States, for much the same reasons as George �� but also because I have a young son who needs to prepare for college in the US.

As an international lawyer, that means a kind of "repotting," to use the B-school buzzword, but I have found a way to do that �� and it is something that I feel passionately about.

It also should make me an awfully nice income, I will work with a super high class outfit and great people and do some good for others. Did I mention that I can locate anywhere I want? grin

More later. George, if you need more tips, PM me.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).