Home
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?" Before I could stop myself, honesty struck; deep heartfelt honesty. My answer was Marooned by Pink Floyd. Immediately, I regretted my answer as it was inappropriate for the interview. My gut told me I'm all instrumental and no vocals in the south, all thunder and no fury, going through the motions. Marooned and imprisoned in the south.

I've had six face-to-face interviews this week, all of which have gone well. I've got an offer to start on Monday in a great job, for a great company, making over 50% more than my last job. Yet everything feels wrong. I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman. I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I being punished?
George what is the type of work you do/want to do?
First problem is that you are seeking a job where some idiot asks you to describe your life with a song title during the job interview.
Originally Posted by Calvin
First problem is that you are seeking a job where some idiot asks you to describe your life with a song title during the job interview.

This. You will likely thank your lucky stars sometime in the future that you did NOT hire on with this outfit.
Looking for work (unsuccessfully as of now) after 25 years both man and boy with the same outfit.

You'll be fine, I'll be fine.....don't dazzle with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullchit (Casey Jones next time).
This was the third interview at this particular company, and they were assessing cultural fit within the company. Strange questions are meant to catch you off guard I suppose.

Google asks candidates 'how many golf balls fit inside of a school bus?' to test their problem solving ability.

I'm looking for a job in Windows/System administration or preferably project management. I interview well, am clean cut and have an iron clad work ethic with a litany of examples to back it up.

I've interviewed (phone) for jobs in Steamboat Springs, Cortez, Glenwood Springs, Craig, Hayden and Denver in Colorado. I've had one interview for Juneau and one in Anchorage.
It's no use. We've got you trapped down here and we ain't gonna let you go. You're in for life. wink
Take he good paying job for two years. Use vacation time to look around for the job you want in the places you want.
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

Maybe you should go back to school -
and take some music classes. smile
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

and take some music classes.

Why thank you for your immense intellectual contribution. [bleep] idiot
Perhaps musical classicism escapes your neanderthal upbringings, but Pink Floyd is the pinnacle for progressive rock.
Lay off the booze and GFY. Do us all a favor
Have a buddy who onetime answered the "what do you see yourself doing in five years" question with "I wanna be a rock-n-roll star!".

Didn't get the job....
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

and take some music classes.

Why thank you for your immense intellectual contribution. [bleep] idiot
Perhaps musical classicism escapes your neanderthal upbringings, but Pink Floyd is the pinnacle for progressive rock.

If, once you realized that your response to the question was not what it should have been, you responded to those conducting the interview in like fashion, perhaps that had some effect on the outcome.
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.
I'm thinking that "Sweet Home Alabama" would have been a better choice.
Next time reply: "Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto" and give him a wink. lol.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but many just think Floyd = stoners. They don't "get it". These questions are really idiotic. You can measure fit in better ways. A friend of mine was once asked, "If you were a fruit, what would it be?" The answer of course, is "grape", since it shows you like to work with others and be part of a team. lol. What a joke.

Keep at it, George.

Skillset is only a small part of it. Luck, timing and fit are equally as important. Before interviewing I would always do as much research as possible on the company, the culture, and most importantly I would google the names of whomever I would have an appointment with. Getting to know the personality of the interviewers ahead of time will give you an edge over 95% of the other candidates.

Eric
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Your whiny post was also "unsolicited"
I wouldn't hire you to shovel out my barn

You have shown you're the "lowest form"

Save your witty reply, because I'll be adding you to my long ignore list

Agreed, I would have either walked out, or just said "I have no response, may I have a serious question?"
I can't imagine why he didn't get the job.
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?" Before I could stop myself, honesty struck; deep heartfelt honesty. My answer was Marooned by Pink Floyd. Immediately, I regretted my answer as it was inappropriate for the interview. My gut told me I'm all instrumental and no vocals in the south, all thunder and no fury, going through the motions. Marooned and imprisoned in the south.

I've had six face-to-face interviews this week, all of which have gone well. I've got an offer to start on Monday in a great job, for a great company, making over 50% more than my last job. Yet everything feels wrong. I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman. I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I being punished?

Who the fug under 50 listens to pink floyd?

Leap and the net will appear.

Sack up, move where you want to live. Bartend, pound nails, live in your car, whatever you have to do to get roots down, while networking and beating the bushes. You'll find the job. Hopefully one without the idiot HR drones.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Am I being punished?

Sack up, move where you want to live. Bartend, pound nails, live in your car, whatever you have to do to get roots down, while networking and beating the bushes. You'll find the job. Hopefully one without the idiot HR drones.

Or, take the job, bank the extra cheddar, & start building a network in the areas you want to live. No, you won't be able to rub elbows at the country club in the towns of your choosing. But, you could make contacts even through 24HCF, and call real live people at companies for "informational interviews", asking what they're looking for, and if they know anyone who's looking. This would make it more personal & concrete for them, than for the e-resumes they look at on Monster, ZipRecruiter, etc. It could be they're not taking seriously, your desire to move.

What you're looking to do is a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

Good Luck,

FC
Taking another job where you hate to live isn't in the recipe for personal satisfaction.

But you guys go ahead and hash it out, I'm going out to run an arra through a bull.
George, I'm gonna give you the same advice you give me a few days ago. Dont mind [bleep] it, just move to where you want to be then find a job. You live in the south the jobs you get are in the south. If you lived in the west the jobs you get will be in the west. Which is more important to you, the perfect job or the perfect location? One of them you may have to compromise on.
My wife runs a personnel placement agency (headhunter) & has had clients ask some very strange questions of job applicants. Usually by some HR person educated beyond their ability to comprehend reality. I would disregard the stupid question. Every area has disadvantages & advantages. Use the increased income to purchase a cabin, trailer, or camp some where that you can hunt & fish. Use vacations to hunt & fish in the places you desire. I live outside of DC & accepted a great job here over 40 years ago. I hated the area & all the congestion, but from a career stand point it was the right decision. I purchased a vacation home on a great fishing lake & also hunt nearby. I used vacations to hunt most Western states, Canadian Provinces, Africa, & Europe. Best of luck with what ever you chose.
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'm thinking that "Sweet Home Alabama" would have been a better choice.

Hell no. I was thinking I-20.
I think your answer to the song question shoulda been��"I wanna hold your hand"
surprised none a you old boys suggested Johnnie Paycheck's famous ballad.

but seriously, i have been in similiar situations. being offered jobs that just did not seem right. money good, bennies good, etc but something did not seem right. twice i declined, once i didn't. while i have never regretted the ones i declined, i almost immediately regretted the one i accepted. life situation will dictate a lot of decisions. age, financial situation, wife, kids, mortgage, etc. i have carved my life and career up into chunks of 5-year plans. what will get me to the goal of my 5-year plan? if moving to alabama and working at a job for a while there will get me the experience i need to get me a job in my preferred area, i do it.

i lived in philly for 8 years for gods sake. i can do anything now. you talk about a soul sucking experience. but it got me the experience i needed to get where i wanted to be.
Good luck on the hunt George. With this economy, and the line of business youre seeking, job seekers got it rough. But youve got some good advice so far. Lifes short. I wont say abandon your efforts to get where youre at today, but to me, it sounds like you might outta think about it. At least keep an open mind.

Im in a similar position. Spent the last 8 years in Defense. Got an offer yesterday, still Defense....10/hr less than what I was making. I was told im over qualified, but they really think they have a need for me and would like to see me move up fast. Then asked what more could I bring to the table. I said for that money youre lucky id show up and walked out. Theres no way im working this industry for less than 20, and even thats pushing it. What burns my ass is, because I dont have a degree, im less than dog schit. Yet some young punk will get hired because he has paperwork yet needs 3 assistants and 20 calls to Santa Clara to find out which part to use.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck to ya!!
Should have told them that you don't think of your life in the form of some musical, and that a job interview shouldn't be based on the questions of a comedian!

Phil
Originally Posted by EricM
A friend of mine was once asked, "If you were a fruit, what would it be?" The answer of course, is "grape", since it shows you like to work with others and be part of a team. lol. What a joke.

While showing the same teamwork spirit, I'd pick a banana. A really big banana. wink
The real experts in areas such as employee selection, industrial psychologists, stress objective, job related, information collection and analysis, and appropriate training of interviewers.

The stupid head games described here are the province of amateurs who think they are shrinks. HR and line management alike are full of them, and they cost their companies big time. I spent some time working for a consulting firm that made big money straightening out messes made by managers who thought they were experts in the people business.

Paul
He could have said "Helter Skelter" . I suspect the job interview would have come to an abrupt end.

I would have said "All my rowdy friends have settled down"

You could twist that into a great answer as to why they should hire you.

The golf ball question is interesting. I assume there is no wrong answer as long as you work thru whatever answer you come up with to justify it.
If the litmus test for hiring is 'What song', I'd not want any part of that place nor that field.
Guess I was lucky never having to deal with people like that... any interview I've ever had to go through was usually out in a yard boots on the ground talking directly with owners who only wanted to know if I could do the job... and since I've worked in the industry for years, most knew me already or knew of me.

Phil
George: For one thing, if you apply for any job in MT be prepared for a pay cut. If you have a preconceived notion of what you 'need' to get by�be prepared to 'modify' it�
Our per capita income is not good here�and you pay for the privilege of living here.
The problem with most companies are due to downsizing. They either eliminated HR altogether and went with software analyzation or limited HR to one or two people, people that have no clue what the true business needs are.
George,

If you wanna be somewhere and live a lifestyle do it - Don't make excuses why you can't do it at this time.

As Rancho said, make sacrifices, extreme sacrifices if you have to. If you have the gumption and stubbornness, and are a competent dude, it will work out in the location of your choosing.

Good luck to you as I was in your shoes -
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If the litmus test for hiring is 'What song', I'd not want any part of that place nor that field.

Agreed. Lots of silliness in lots of companies today.

Jobs in your field & many others, are hard to find in the mountains state areas & there is usually a loooooong line of candidates when there are positions available. Lots of service jobs & a fair amount of health-care jobs, not much in industry or technical fields.

Also, re-read Ingwe's comments regarding compensation as it's on the money.

Essentially, you have two choices: stay where you are & keep looking while you're working, or move to where you want to be & take what you can find & can get until you find what you want; just be prepared for not finding what you want in a job for an extended period.

Good Luck.

MM
George,

Personally, I'd take the money and the new position right now.
Spend the extra cheddar traveling to some of these places you think you want to live, then decide for certain that's the place to be. And I'd make it a point to visit some place of employment that were high on my list.

I've been to many of the places you've listed. Great places to visit - just wouldn't want to put down permanent roots there.

I might also add that I think I read not too long ago that you want to retire when you're 40. While it is possible to have your cake and eat it, you really need to decide what you want from life. Balls-to-the-walls to hit the retirement mark or have a quality, recreational life. Personally, unless you've got dreams of your own tech firm, I'd plan on working a "few" more years past 40. smile

Am I being punished?

Since you're quite obviously a nerd that needs guidance in life, why don't you create a matrix that assigns appropriate values to things you are weighing in this decision and whatever it tells you can be your guide.

Travis

PS- The correct answer was "Big Bottoms" by Spinal Tap. You fugged that one up. Big time.
5sdad,

Weird, since you solicited advice in the op...

Kent
George, you did ok with your title selection. I would have said Lunatic Fringe. With a big smile.

Ask me stupid questions...

Recalling a test the Army administered when I signed up. "would you rather darn socks or pick scabs?"

Of course I would.

Am I being punished?

If your domestic situation (single or wife/kids willing to move) allows go the place first and worry about the job later. You will be happier. My domestic situation led me away from where I want to be. While the job is fine and life is relatively good, I am not a happy person. I also like the 5 year plan. Another option, is to take the job with the pay raise for a few years and sock away the money to make the move easier financially. But if you feel trapped and you can get out! Trust me.
My last employer asked the same question(about the song).

I asked them if they drug tested and the woman said why yes we do.

And fuuck living somewhere that sucks.

Couldn't pay me $1 million a year to live in a city.
I had to make the choice of decent job or quality of recreation about 13 years ago ... I chose the job and have regretted that decision every day since. Nothing gets your head right better than stepping out your door to unlimited outdoor adventures.
I made that same decision over forty years ago, and I haven't regretted mine grin
life's experiences prepare us for what awaits us in the future, I'm thinking next interview you'll be better prepared. This should help, no need to thank me.

At George's age, I'd not take a job in an area that I couldn't save and invest at least 25k a year. Follow the money, get ahead, and reap the rewards when you are in your 40-60s. Delay gratification.
I'll throw in my two cents and a way to address strange questions at future interviews.

Have a plan.

When all else fails speak the truth and then come up with a measured thought out response. Buy time by saying "That's an off the wall (or unusual) question." Then repeat the question "I've never thought about what song I'd use to describe my life. Hmmm. Let me think about that."

You could choose a different response but the object is to avoid blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. Be prepared with a generic answer to strange questions and you won't be caught off guard.

Good luck in the job search.

Originally Posted by SamOlson
And fuuck living somewhere that sucks.

Couldn't pay me $1 million a year to live in a city.

I'll take that job, since Sam don't want it. Of course, I'll only be there for 2 years, so let me start training my replacement now!

I'd move back to where I live now, and retire, with $1.5 million in the bank, I think I would do all right. grin

I've lived in some less than optimal places for work, but always with a plan for something better.

Place is important to me. Work is too, but when you start out as a ditch digger, there are a lot of options to improve ones quality of life!

Sycamore
At George's age, I'd not take a job in an area that I couldn't save and invest at least 25k a year. Follow the money, get ahead, and reap the rewards when you are in your 40-60s. Delay gratification.

Take it from an old man. Don't delay gratification.

Life is the journey and not a destination. Goals are important but the life you live in getting there is far more important.

Deathbed questions ...

I wished I would have worked harder and had more things.

Or ...

I wish I would would done more hunting and fishing instead of chasing money.

There is a balance. smile
Tomorrow is a promise to no man.
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company,....

First sentence tells ya ol' George is just yankin our chain...

What's Radio Shack offering..?

wink grin

yep don't care who you are, that was TFF

well played DeerWhacker grin
Fishhead and Steelhead said it best.
Originally Posted by seal_billy

Yep, they nailed it....

[b][color:#3333FF]Never know when[/color][/b] you're going to check out...
5sdad,

Seriously??

No wonder you can't find a phuggin job...
Originally Posted by fish head

Take it from an old man. Don't delay gratification.

Life is the journey and not a destination. Goals are important but the life you live in getting there is far more important.

Deathbed questions ...

I wished I would have worked harder and had more things.

Or ...

I wish I would would done more hunting and fishing instead of chasing money.

There is a balance. smile

Last I checked, there are vacation days, cheap OTC tags, and a pile of public land to hunt and fish on. You can have it all.

Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Yep, they nailed it....

Thanks but I failed to mention THE MOST important thing in life.

Relationships with family and friends.
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company,....

wink grin

You got me here. 'Radio Shack' is offering about 27/hour with four weeks vacation and respectable benefits. Only in America could someone scoff at such a nice offer.

Yep, they nailed it....

Died coming and going at the same time, as Richard Pryor would say.

Rooster7,
I've no trouble finding a job, nor turning one down. Twenty interviews and multiple offers in a month must be a poor result for my 'effort'. blush Shame they've all been in alabama

To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.
Sorry George, Stick was in there interviewing before you and they asked him the same question. He said it was "I'm a little tea pot" and got the job.

Better luck next time.
Oh I got a hearty chuckle out of that one.

I've been saving this gem from the interview, 'If you could have one superpower, what would it be?' I about died laughing when they asked me that.

You got me here. 'Radio Shack' is offering about 27/hour with four weeks vacation and respectable benefits. Only in America could someone scoff at such a nice offer.

What does it take you a year to live on? Can you live at home? You could save at least 25k a year, buy and old Taco and hunt/fish the west for those 4 weeks a year. Not to mention what you can do on a weekend.
I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman.

This is the nub of the thing, right? You don't just want to hunt and fish in the mountains on vacation days, right? You want to reside in the mountains, to wake up each morning and see the mountains from your front door.

In that case, any advice to take a high-paying job where you don't want to live, and defer gratification until you're retired is not helpful. Ignore that.

Pick the place you want and go there. Don't wait. Go now. Take the first job that comes your way and live in a trailer if you have to. The mountains shine just as bright from the front door of a single-wide. Keep working. You'll get better jobs. Marry a Montana girl.
George You have been good to help this OLD MAN out with my lack of PC skills so The Best Advice I can give is Get the HELL out of this Damn Hell hole as soon as you can or you will wind up
TRAPPED here like I did all those years ago!
Alabama THE ARM PIT of America!
AMRA
Originally Posted by AMRA
George You have been good to help this OLD MAN out with my lack of PC skills so The Best Advice I can give is Get the HELL out of this Damn Hell hole as soon as you can or you will wind up
AMRA

You've obviously not spent much time in Indiana...
AMRA

Funny that you mention armpit.

I went to high school in Redding Ca (N CA) and we referred to it as the armpit of the Sacramento Valley. It's surrounded on three sides by mountains and it's literally an armpit when it comes to weather.

It's nasty hot in the summertime with typically a week + of temps over 110 degrees. cry

wink grin

Yep, they nailed it....

Died coming and going at the same time, as Richard Pryor would say.

Rooster7,
I've no trouble finding a job, nor turning one down. Twenty interviews and multiple offers in a month must be a poor result for my 'effort'. blush Shame they've all been in alabama

To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.

I've done it twice. It's scary. It's hard..

But you can make it work if you're not a pussy.
AMRA

Or New Jersey.

In my opinion, if you are within a 2 day drive (hard drive) of good OTC hunting, life doesn't suck too bad. 4 weeks of vacation.. damn, you could hunt the [bleep] out of colorado every year with that. You just have to picture yourself in 5-10 years with 150-400k squirreled away making 8% in closed end mutual funds and the possibilities you will have for the rest of your life. You could pull it out and go buy a house with cash in an awesome area and work a job you really want to do. You have no idea the freedom that gives you, until you have it. FWIW.
George,

I work where ever there is internet.

Think about that a moment.

Do they have internet in Alaska? yep...

Do they have internet in MT? sure do...

We're hiring. PM me already ya slacker! smile
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?".

The correct response would be:

"That's the gayest fuggin' question I've ever been asked in a job interview."
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?".

The correct response would be:

"That's the gayest fuggin' question I've ever been asked in a job interview."

What if he would answered with YMCA?

They'd have to hire you or it would be discrimination based on sexual preferences.

Go gay George and be PC at all times during the next interview.

We'll get this job thing figgered out. grin
Sometimes I lament the career path I've chosen,...and then sometimes I realize that I could be asked in job interviews to describe my life with a song title.

I'd rather have the interviewer ask me if I could chase a thread on a manual lathe,..then spit tobacco juice in the chip tray.
AMRA

We have issues, it's true.
AMRA

Hey! wink
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
George,

I work where ever there is internet.

Think about that a moment.

Do they have internet in Alaska? yep...

As las says, the electrons are brought in one at a time.

At gunpoint.
I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Yes - you've made a career of looking for a job instead of actually working one. Put down some stakes somewhere and succeed for a few years. If you're good, good jobs will find you.
It's not that bad. Get real.

Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) ships fresh electrons from the lower 48 to Anchorage twice a week.
Well I had another interview this afternoon with a large semi-national bank, which went well. Still, they asked me two questions which will get the juices flowing with the curmudgeons here.

1. Pirates vs. Ninjas, who wins?

2. Tell me a joke, any joke, but make me laugh.

No tomfoolery here, a fortune 100 company really asked me in an interview ^^
Do you do this?

We are looking for someone experienced with:

� Server Management

� TCP/IP Protocols

� MS Windows Server (2003, 2008, 2012)

� VM Ware

� SAN Administration

And do you want to live in Helena, Montana?
Where do I sign?
If you're serious, I can send a resume/references and apply to the job immediately.
I'm serious. My wife emailed me this morning with a request for recruitment for her company for someone that does that. She gets a referral "bonus" if the applicant works for 90 days. Good company too. I figured it was a long shot but maybe not. I will pm you.
Thanks for the heads up!
Well I had another interview this afternoon with a large semi-national bank, which went well. Still, they asked me two questions which will get the juices flowing with the curmudgeons here.

Answer: On water or land?

Answer: I can't tell you any joke and make you laugh, which one is it?

My rational was, if the pirates were at sea they would have the advantage. No further inquiries as to the situation were allowed.

I told them about a time some coworkers had messed with me by moving my truck a few miles away.

These idiots and the ones from yesterday all attended the same HR conference.
You could get a job in one day in the Bakken oil patch, but I assume you already know that. Not enough mountains?
Originally Posted by fish head
It's not that bad. Get real.

Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) ships fresh electrons from the lower 48 to Anchorage twice a week.

My speed at the house is 1M down.

It's so slow, that ACS no longer offers nor sells that speed. Their slowest is now 3M down. It's not available at my location!

The good news is that I can't be downgraded! crazy

Interesting.

I honestly believe these types of questions are not random off the wall questions but are designed to elicit a reaction. It's your initial reaction to the questions that are judged and not the answer. They're looking to see if you falter or are uncomfortable when being put "on the spot".

That's why I suggested a canned response.

1. "Pirates vs. Ninjas, who wins?"

"That's an unusual question. I've never really thought about Pirates vs. Ninjas." Then go from there.

It's better than stuttering and stumbling or being caught off guard and blurting the first thing pops into your mind. Show them that you think through a "problem" instead of just reacting.
A 15 minute treatise on real ninjas or Hollywood ninjas and real modern pirates or Johnny Depp pirates.

Compare and contrast all 4 permutations.
What,$27/hr is money? Your kidding. I made that as an RN 20 years ago.
[/quote] To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.[/quote]

George, good luck with whatever your decision turns out to be.
Here's my experience, not preaching, as I have put it into practice. I just added it up, 6 moves since March, 1999. N.CA>NW. PA> E. AZ> W.AZ> JuneauAK> Central CA> E.WA. Add another move from SoCal to N.CA in 1991 for a new career track/education at 37 years old.

Each place had/has it's benefits/drawbacks. ALL, I repeat ALL moves were better for me than staying in the SanDiego/OC/LA greater metropolis even with the ocean/mts/desert just a short drive away. (my mistake, exception was Central CA, no job, moved to where wife was working at the time)

Most of those places mentioned I have had experiences that made me wonder why anyone would want to leave: Redwoods in N. Ca; smallmouth fishing behind the Burger King and hunting right out the back fence after work in NW PA; Elk "mowing" my lawn in the mts of E AZ; Bighorn sheep (and lots of rattlesnakes eek) in the yard in the desert of W. AZ; Juneau is AK even though it's SE AK, no more need be said; E. WA Palouse, Snake and COlumbia Rivers, Blue Mts to the south, Selkirks a few hours north, pheasants, quail, geese, deer etc in the yard all the time.

Guess what, one isn't getting that stuff in San Diego or Atlanta.

Yes, the moves themselves were/are a real PITA especially as one gets older and acquires more of the infamous "stuff".

Id be taking a serious look at the Helena job one of the posters mentioned. I'd be willing to bet, cold weather, snow, ice, Helena "metropolis" and all would be a d--m sight better fit for me (and probably you?) than Alabama. Of course, you might get more deer tags there.

Again, good luck.
Geno
Have you left yet?
Originally Posted by Snyper
5sdad,

Your whiny post was also "unsolicited"
I wouldn't hire you to shovel out my barn

You have shown you're the "lowest form"

Save your witty reply, because I'll be adding you to my long ignore list

I will bet he is shaking in his boots from that threat crazy he might be grouchy but frustration will do that to a young man trying to find a dream job.

George I think you have some good advice here as well as some not so good. It might take a few leaps and bounds to get to that dream job and location. Might be best to pick up something better paying to use as a stepping stone. Take it one step at a time and try not to bite the hand that is trying to help you. There is information to be gleaned from everyone. Patience will benefit you.

BTW I remember being in your position. Now I am watching my oldest sone do the same. Keep your head up.
Valsdad,

I have no quarrels packing up what little 'stuff' I have and driving to Alaska, for a job. But it's another story to go up there with nothing lined up and no safety net. Is it possible, and have other people done it? I'm confident. Still a whisker outside of my comfort zone at present.

websterparish47,

I'm delighted for you that you were at one time so well compensated, especially given what nurses actually do. Yes, $27/hour plus four weeks paid vacation, excellent health insurance, 'retirement' plans, and other fringe benefits, it is most assuredly good compensation. Especially for an early twenty something with a 'lowly' arts degree and a good work ethic.
Please save the cynicism for somebody else, namely somebody who gives a flying [bleep].

Bama_Rick,

The first ticket I can punch, you'll hear the tires squealing on my truck from your house.

eh76,

Grouchy covers it, especially when one application takes forty minutes to complete. I've read What Color is Your Parachute, I've reverse interviewed at a few places and have been trying to complete a few more. It's a frustrating experience...
Get.
Out.
Of.
Your.
Comfort.
Zone.

Dude, you're unattached, no kids. I really have no idea why you aren't loaded up and hitting the road a day ago.
Seriously, why are you posting this thread?

Do you want guys to hold your hand and say, "there, there, I understand.." Or do you want advice from those that have btdt?
^
^
I've been to Montana a few times.

Outrageous scenery in the northwestern part of the state,..

I don't presume to have the ability to give anybody advice on much of anything,....but,..

Have you ever been to Montana?

It's area is a bit larger than Germany and it has a population of 1 million people.

The reason is winter.

It's got a badass winter.

In Elmer Keith's book, Hell, I Was There he has a photo of a cow that is frozen stiff and standing up.

The cattle had been crowded into a barn and there was just barely enough room in the barn for all of them. Some of those closest to the wall got frozen stiff just standing there.
George, I certainly understand your hesitation to pack it up and go without a job/safety net. Except for the move to Central CA, all my moves involved having work lined up. That DOES make life easier. Oh, the move to N.Cal did not involve work, it involved learning how to live as a starving student again at nearly 40 years old. Only safety net was the possibility of grants and loans at school + whatever work I could find.

From the sounds of it, you'll do OK. Take a good chunk of that $27/hr off the top ( 1/4 to 1/3 if you can afford it) and put it into savings for when you do get a chance to move/retire to the mountains.

Again, good luck.

Geno
Get.
Out.
Of.
Your.
Comfort.
Zone.

Dude, you're unattached, no kids. I really have no idea why you aren't loaded up and hitting the road a day ago.

Comfort zone is one thing, but a finite pool of money won't last forever with no work up there. I'm hesitant to spend thousands of dollars going somewhere without work lined up first.
Bristoe,

All the cold weather Alaska and North Dakota had to offer didn't scare me off, and neither will Flave as long as I can outrun him.
You're in Alabama getting offers to work in Alabama... If you were in Montana...
Kent
Then rot where you are.

You know, most of the time, to get over a GD fence, you gotta take a couple of steps back.

Basically, you're acting like a girl right now. It's kinda embarrassing to see it.
George,

If you do move, you might want to consider leaving your vagina in Alabama.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
George,

If you do move, you might want to consider leaving your vagina in Alabama.

Travis

No way man. You get the whole package. laugh
You know what, what's the worst thing that could happen should I pack my schhit and drive up there?
[Linked Image]
You know what, what's the worst thing that could happen should I pack my schhit and drive up there?

The Montana boys could make you develop a fetish for sheeps. grin

Remember ... resistance is not futile. Don't give into peer pressure and stay away from Ingwe.

You won't know until you try it.
Hate wondering what could have been....
You're right.. I've got a few of those rattling around in my head. And I hate them.

Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Hate wondering what could have been....

That very thought/idea had a profound influence on my life.

I quit a secure good paying job to become a partner in a business that was in dire straights ... on the verge of bankruptcy.

I couldn't live with the thought that I didn't give it a shot and wonder the rest of my life "what could have been".
Lay off the booze and GFY. Do us all a favor

With such great social and conversation skills, it is a small wonder you are having job problems.

Well, one thing's for sure, the odds are certainly against you ever being mauled by a grizz while archery hunting elk in Alabama.

I'd sure like to go back to my early twenties and get a "do over" so I could have left San Diego sooner. All the comments about staying and making money and using the 4 weeks vacation etc sound good, but then comes the:
girlfriend/wife/significant other, maybe kids (planned and UNPLANNED!),
probably a place of your own if you don't have one already (with lease or a mortgage! and real estate costs!),
maybe a new/newer truck or car, a boat, more friends, vested interest in your employement/retirement,
acquiring more "stuff".... the list continues.
It's sometimes called getting caught up in life. ( I have a brother who did, he's still in San Diego living with the traffic, crowds, crime etc. , and let's say "he has some regrets")

If you're serious about wanting to live "out west" don't get caught up in life in Alabama.

Maybe, just maybe the worst that could happen to you is that in a year or five you end up crawling back to Alabama, beaten and bloodied and BROKE, but proud you took a chance, saying you had a hell of a time, and wondering how long it'll take you to get a grubstake together so you can do it again. (and that's not such a bad outcome, is it?)

Good luck George, and did anything become of that job in Helena I saw a few post back?

Geno
A wise man once confessed to me that his only pet peeve was 'Stupid, because you can't fix stupid.' I hold no quarter for undue cynicism or tomfoolery. If I wanted to hear it, I would call my brother's liberal atheist wife.
Valsdad,

I applied for the job up in Helena, so now it's just a waiting game. I've broken out the fabled pen & paper to crunch driving up there. Let's just say no idea is off the table at the present.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Well, one thing's for sure, the odds are certainly against you ever being mauled by a grizz while archery hunting elk in Alabama.

I'd sure like to go back to my early twenties and get a "do over" so I could have left San Diego sooner. All the comments about staying and making money and using the 4 weeks vacation etc sound good, but then comes the:
girlfriend/wife/significant other, maybe kids (planned and UNPLANNED!),
probably a place of your own if you don't have one already (with lease or a mortgage! and real estate costs!),
maybe a new/newer truck or car, a boat, more friends, vested interest in your employement/retirement,
acquiring more "stuff".... the list continues.
It's sometimes called getting caught up in life. ( I have a brother who did, he's still in San Diego living with the traffic, crowds, crime etc. , and let's say "he has some regrets")

If you're serious about wanting to live "out west" don't get caught up in life in Alabama.

Maybe, just maybe the worst that could happen to you is that in a year or five you end up crawling back to Alabama, beaten and bloodied and BROKE, but proud you took a chance, saying you had a hell of a time, and wondering how long it'll take you to get a grubstake together so you can do it again. (and that's not such a bad outcome, is it?)

Good luck George, and did anything become of that job in Helena I saw a few post back?

Geno

Yeah, San Diego sucks. crazy

[Linked Image]
and once again, why wait for a job offer?
Eric, nice of you to post such a pretty piture of a VERY small part of the greater San Diego area. Winter day? (no bikinis on that beach) Torrey Pines? Blacks Beach? Sunset Cliffs maybe? Looks like someplace near "Fat Man's Misery" we used to go down when younger.

I'm not sure how to post pics, but if this link works perhaps viewers who prefer a "quieter lifestyle" away from the hustle and bustle of urban life might understand why I tend to think "living in San Diego" would suck for me. Go back 35-40 years and I truly enjoyed it.

https://maps.yahoo.com/#/place/?lat=32.731840896865684&lon=-117.09846496582031&q=San%20Diego%2C%20CA&t=h&bb=32.84642336431036%2C-117.25038528442383%2C32.617400127757456%2C-116.9465446472168&addr=San%20Diego%2C%20CA

Folks, zoom in if you can't make out all the houses. Zoom out to see that Camp Pendleton is about the only thing keeping SD from merging with OC and LA, then those housing developments you see would be an almost sold mass from the border to Malibu.

I'm sure Eric knows knows what it's like if he lives there.

So, in my view, San Diego sucks.

Please don't get me wrong, I really loved the idea of San Diego as I used to go the beach, the snow, and the desert all in the same day. Fished most of the reservoirs, bays and the near shore ocean, hunted a bit, camped ALL over the county, hiked many of the trails, surfed, swam, scuba diving and snorkeling in the local ocean, jumped off "the Clam" in La Jolla cove,body surfed at "Boomers", drank beer on the "Bench" in Mission Beach. Never flew a hang glider at torrey pines tho, but as you can see I kinda know a bit about the area. I'd still be there if it wasn't for things like it taking nearly an hour to drive to work for a trip that takes 21 minutes on a Sat morning on the way to Moonlight Beach (maybe my favorite beach in the area). Or breathing smog almost every day. (We used to be able to see the ocean from the top of Santa Rosa Peak, last time I was there not able to do so). Or houses where we used to go target shooting. I miss the mexican food (taco shops on every corner) and a lot of other stuff, but I won't trade what I have now to go back to that mess down there, even for places like the one you showed. (I live next to the Snake River so the view out my window is nearly as nice) And I don't miss 10 day waiting periods (see the thread in single shots. Now there's really a need to wait 10 days for a Blaser single shot isn't there confused), dificulty in getting CCW, the crime rates etc.

Perhaps when I make my yearly visit we can meet for a cup of coffee? Or better yet a carnitas burrito! Maybe we could even do a little shooting. What range do you shoot at, Hesters Granite Pit (P2K), the one out past Jamul (south Bay rod and gun), Lemon Grove rod and gun club?. From what my relatives tell me there is pretty much no shooting allowed (except for hunting) on NF land in SD county any more.

Hope I didn't hijack the thread too much. I'm really hoping if George has his heart set on moving out west, he finds a way to do it.
Valsdad,

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree that no matter where you are there are always tradeoffs to consider.

That photo I posted was at Black's Beach in La Jolla.

You definitely know the area based on what you posted. I'm an ocean person and so living in north county San Diego is pretty awesome. I live within a mile of Moonlight Beach, and surf up and down the coast. You can't beat the weather. I love the SoCal hot rod culture and beach community. The Mexican food is fantastic. The women are hot. People are very active and into the outdoors and working out. We are a top craft brew city in the U.S. But you're right, it's an urban area and the cost of living is sky high. I could buy 10 houses most anywhere else in the U.S. for what I'm paying here. I have to travel over an hour to my gun range (South Bay Rod & Gun, just further down the road from P2K), local opportunity to hunt is low so I always have to travel, we have the 10 day waiting period, ban on lead ammo in Condor areas, very restrictive CCW, a bunch of nut-case legislators, traffic sucks, etc. But in the line of work that I'm in, the best opportunities are all in urban areas, like LA, or DC.

I bet living on the Snake River is pretty cool!

You'll have to let me know next time you're in San Diego. We could grab a brew at Stone Brewery in San Marcos.

Eric
Here's a spoof video of the area I live in. lol. laugh

Since ditch digging has been mentioned, here's my story. At age 34 I was not happy with my job nor the area where I was living. I moved home with my parents and went to work for a company that I had worked for in the past. I saved every dollar I could and in a year moved to the area where I wanted to live and took a job with a friend's family trenching business as a ditch digger making a whopping $6.00 an hour, seldom working 40 hours a week. Sure that was tough, but I used the down time to job hunt and in 6 months had a job in my field. Thirty years later I am now retired, I have had some great jobs with firms that were industry leaders in their field. No job is worth being miserable over, Job hunting now is much more of a PITA than it was at the time I made my move but you can find something to establish yourself in your new location. I have always augmented my income via internet sales over the last 30 years, this is how I've funded my gun collecting and hunting adventures. Good luck in your quest.
You should have said "I can't drive 55" got up, packed your crap and moved to where you want to be.

I thought I read a year or so ago that George was offloading some stuff before leaving for the military.

What happened with that George?
Oh I got a hearty chuckle out of that one.

I've been saving this gem from the interview, 'If you could have one superpower, what would it be?' I about died laughing when they asked me that.

You've got to be kidding me. Who are "these people?" No wonder stupid is as ubiquitous as air.
I think the title of this thread says a lot. It is a first world problem. As little as 75-100 years ago, living the dream was just that, a dream. Two world wars, an economic depression, factory jobs. Even before that, you worked until you keeled over and died or your kids took care of you. The greatest generation gave us prosperity and a lot of opportunity to branch out and do things we want to do. Even then, some of their kids wound up at Woodstock and now are wondering who is going to take care of them now that they are retired and broke, because they really didn�t evaporate when they turned 30.

I am all for living the dream and taking some chances. But, I am not a �load up the car and see what happens� kind of guy. (I�m not a �let�s fly to Vegas and get married� type, either.) It never hurts to have a plan and some options, like one of those decision trees. It also is important to remember that we evolve over time, so we may not be the same people in our 50s are we were in our 20s, and being forced to follow the path set in the 20s may not guarantee a happy life. In fact, a naturally curious person who wants to be a life-long learner may want to be able to choose new adventures over the course of a lifetime. Sometimes, it takes money to explore some of those opportunities.

In our case, we wanted to live out west. We didn�t pack up the car and move. We took about 15 years, and life didn�t suck in the interim. When it was time to go, we could quantify the cost of a screw up at one real estate commission (sold the first house FSBO) and two moves, or about $20,000 in 1996 dollars. I was fortunate enough to have a flexible work situation that allowed it to happen. It worked out great. Sure, there are trade- offs even now. I got stuck working this weekend instead of being able to hunt. That is just a first world problem I could fix whenever I choose to. I�ve got no regrets.

If you can figure out a work/life situation that makes you 100% happy now and for the rest of your life, then you hit the jackpot. If you can figure that out in your 20s, you hit the Powerball. I wouldn�t let perfect get in the way of pretty good, but I don�t recommend rolling the bones and just going with that.

I know this didn�t solve much, but it was the best I could do.
I'm surrounded every day by guys who describe to me how they loaded up their truck or van with their tools and their dog 10, 20, 30 years ago, and moved out here with little money and less prospects.

Some are living in trailers still nailing off sheeting.

Some own some incredibly successful businesses and are very well off.

Not one of them has told me they regretted it.

Obviously george doesn't think much of my experiences and advice, but conversely, I don't think much about his lack of decisive action.
I think he got your point...now STFU! California.
I'm surrounded every day by guys who describe to me how they loaded up their truck or van with their tools and their dog 10, 20, 30 years ago, and moved out here with little money and less prospects.

Some are living in trailers still nailing off sheeting.

Some own some incredibly successful businesses and are very well off.

Not one of them has told me they regretted it.

Those that regretted it don't live there any longer.
Not my experience in other places.
I would regret the he!l out of nailing off sheeting in old age as a conscious life choice. If that is what I have to do to get by, well, I understand that.
Nailing up sheeting here or in chicago, I know I'd rather do it here.

Some people have simple needs, wants and desires, but still have an admirable sense of direction in life. Can't fault them for that..
Move where u want to be with an rv. Take any job even walmart etc and work back up from there. Locals tend to hire same
Nailing up sheeting here or in chicago, I know I'd rather do it here.

Some people have simple needs, wants and desires, but still have an admirable sense of direction in life. Can't fault them for that..

True enough, but I think the discussion is a little more complex than �would you rather be nailing up sheeting in Chicago or Montana?"
Funny thing is, I don't.
This is strictly my personal opinion and no offense at all to those "there" who call it home, but I would rue the day I move one foot further east.

Edit: actually, we may be First World yet but only because that is a relative value and dependent on many things, many of which are declining. There are inner city and rural areas that border on Third World and many in the middle class may find themselves on the slippery slope to Second World status soon.
You can move where you want and hold down a job.

You can have a profession and go where it takes you.

Those are the choices I have always had.

I am the guy that gave George the lead in Helena. I did as many of you described and in my mid 20's I packed up and moved 1,800 miles away from everything I ever knew and settled in Montana for an ok job. That was in 2006. Now many dead elk, deer, ducks, and roosters later, I have a very good gig working as a professional in local government (It's the State Capital so you Governement haters can GFY).

Helena has a lot of good paying jobs and for someone working in the IT field, there is a lot of opportunity both private and public sector. There really is no downside to living here if you are an outdoorsman, and the winters are a freaking cakewalk in Helena.
I for one am glad you could offer George a lead. I could only offer advice and my experience. I hope if it works out for him he enjoys his new life as much as you seem to have taken to yours.

Geno
Steelhead,
12.5mm osteochondral lesion on talur dome killed that one, though I think of It as The Lord looking out for me.

So, what dollar figure is appropriate for "pack up and drive"?
10k?
15k?

Any advice from those that have been-there-done-that?
Not a thing wrong with having a job to move too.

If you play it safe and not go for broke.

You need enough to get wherever it is, have enough to live a month, enough to get back to your old job base and live a month reestablishing if it doesn't work out.

So depends on where, alaska would obviously take more.

Even if you were offered a job you need to have the same in case it doesn't work out from their view point or yours. Which does happen.

Also depends on what you have now. A truck and travel trailer can keep your expenses low for an interim.

Kent

Any advice from those that have been-there-done-that?

Hurry the $#@! up!
Its your life do what you want. Having a bunch of dudes on the internet decide your fate isnt going to work.

In this economy it'll be hard to get a tech job out of state, when there's a bunch of locals also looking for work.

But if you need 10-15k to pack up and move, it proves your not the type of guy to wing it.
Originally Posted by RatFink
I am the guy that gave George the lead in Helena. I did as many of you described and in my mid 20's I packed up and moved 1,800 miles away from everything I ever knew and settled in Montana for an ok job. That was in 2006. Now many dead elk, deer, ducks, and roosters later, I have a very good gig working as a professional in local government (It's the State Capital so you Governement haters can GFY).

Helena has a lot of good paying jobs and for someone working in the IT field, there is a lot of opportunity both private and public sector. There really is no downside to living here if you are an outdoorsman, and the winters are a freaking cakewalk in Helena.

The one thing that George has done right thus far is to work his network so that you, RatFink, offered him a lead.

Believe me, otherwise, in today's market, he is going about it wrong to generate the kind of position he wants. I have been there and done that myself. I had to redirect my approach completely.

Now I realize that it is all about networking and personal references. Headhunters, job applications, working through the HR department, etc. is not the way �� unless you like pain with no results.

George, look at "Ask the Headhunter" website by Nick Corcodilos (www.asktheheadhunter.com), subscribe to his mailing list, maybe buy his books and by all means look at the back posts on his blog. He tells it like it really is. Nick spells out how you should conduct such a search �� and what is a waste of time.

I am just about to report the results of my own plan to relocate my family to the Western States, for much the same reasons as George �� but also because I have a young son who needs to prepare for college in the US.

As an international lawyer, that means a kind of "repotting," to use the B-school buzzword, but I have found a way to do that �� and it is something that I feel passionately about.

It also should make me an awfully nice income, I will work with a super high class outfit and great people and do some good for others. Did I mention that I can locate anywhere I want? grin

More later. George, if you need more tips, PM me.

Am I being punished?

Just to comment on that particular wrinkle of job interviews, it is very common for HR types and managers who do not know any better to throw in "trick" questions to catch you off guard and see how you respond.

You'd simply better prepare your mindset for this and be ready to answer with either a joke, a challenge or best of all, a reply that shows how dedicated and excited about the job. Yes, I know the last seems dopey, but it works.

There are actually books on how to do this and what to answer. Most HR people don't seem to know that. Check Amazon.com. One is DeLuca and DeLuca, Perfect Phrases for Negotiating Salary & Job Offers. Also get books by Roger Dawson and Michael Zwell.

If you are serious about getting a new job, it is worth the effort to learn how to do this properly, especially since the great jobs are very desirable and most employers know that. Most of us are not naturally good at it, so it needs practice.

Interestingly, I've read that tests show that the very best job applicants are actors who fake their credentials and are almost always hired. This shows that it is personal style and not job skills that count in interviews. You have be ready to charm, not come across as a sad sack who can do the work but is no fun to be around.

The best story I heard was from a guy who became my boss at one company. The CEO required everyone be interviewed by a psychologist. The latter threw at him "How's your sex life?" My boss smiled and bounced back with "Compared to whose?" He got the job.

Another approach, and one that had outstanding results for me on the move I'm about to announce soon, is to tell interesting stories to make a point. I read that Warren Buffett was challenged by someone to get to the point and he replied, I have to tell it this way, that's the way my mind works. That way he controlled the conversation.
© 24hourcampfire