Campfire Member
Do you do this?

We are looking for someone experienced with:

� Server Management

� TCP/IP Protocols

� MS Windows Server (2003, 2008, 2012)

� VM Ware

� SAN Administration

And do you want to live in Helena, Montana?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Where do I sign?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you're serious, I can send a resume/references and apply to the job immediately.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm serious. My wife emailed me this morning with a request for recruitment for her company for someone that does that. She gets a referral "bonus" if the applicant works for 90 days. Good company too. I figured it was a long shot but maybe not. I will pm you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the heads up!

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Well I had another interview this afternoon with a large semi-national bank, which went well. Still, they asked me two questions which will get the juices flowing with the curmudgeons here.

1. Pirates vs. Ninjas, who wins?

Answer: On water or land?

2. Tell me a joke, any joke, but make me laugh.

Answer: I can't tell you any joke and make you laugh, which one is it?

No tomfoolery here, a fortune 100 company really asked me in an interview ^^

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My rational was, if the pirates were at sea they would have the advantage. No further inquiries as to the situation were allowed.

I told them about a time some coworkers had messed with me by moving my truck a few miles away.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well I had another interview this afternoon with a large semi-national bank, which went well. Still, they asked me two questions which will get the juices flowing with the curmudgeons here.

These idiots and the ones from yesterday all attended the same HR conference.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You could get a job in one day in the Bakken oil patch, but I assume you already know that. Not enough mountains?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by fish head
It's not that bad. Get real.

Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) ships fresh electrons from the lower 48 to Anchorage twice a week.

My speed at the house is 1M down.

It's so slow, that ACS no longer offers nor sells that speed. Their slowest is now 3M down. It's not available at my location!

The good news is that I can't be downgraded! crazy

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting.

I honestly believe these types of questions are not random off the wall questions but are designed to elicit a reaction. It's your initial reaction to the questions that are judged and not the answer. They're looking to see if you falter or are uncomfortable when being put "on the spot".

That's why I suggested a canned response.

1. "Pirates vs. Ninjas, who wins?"

"That's an unusual question. I've never really thought about Pirates vs. Ninjas." Then go from there.

It's better than stuttering and stumbling or being caught off guard and blurting the first thing pops into your mind. Show them that you think through a "problem" instead of just reacting.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A 15 minute treatise on real ninjas or Hollywood ninjas and real modern pirates or Johnny Depp pirates.

Compare and contrast all 4 permutations.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What,$27/hr is money? Your kidding. I made that as an RN 20 years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[/quote] To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.[/quote]

George, good luck with whatever your decision turns out to be.
Here's my experience, not preaching, as I have put it into practice. I just added it up, 6 moves since March, 1999. N.CA>NW. PA> E. AZ> W.AZ> JuneauAK> Central CA> E.WA. Add another move from SoCal to N.CA in 1991 for a new career track/education at 37 years old.

Each place had/has it's benefits/drawbacks. ALL, I repeat ALL moves were better for me than staying in the SanDiego/OC/LA greater metropolis even with the ocean/mts/desert just a short drive away. (my mistake, exception was Central CA, no job, moved to where wife was working at the time)

Most of those places mentioned I have had experiences that made me wonder why anyone would want to leave: Redwoods in N. Ca; smallmouth fishing behind the Burger King and hunting right out the back fence after work in NW PA; Elk "mowing" my lawn in the mts of E AZ; Bighorn sheep (and lots of rattlesnakes eek) in the yard in the desert of W. AZ; Juneau is AK even though it's SE AK, no more need be said; E. WA Palouse, Snake and COlumbia Rivers, Blue Mts to the south, Selkirks a few hours north, pheasants, quail, geese, deer etc in the yard all the time.

Guess what, one isn't getting that stuff in San Diego or Atlanta.

Yes, the moves themselves were/are a real PITA especially as one gets older and acquires more of the infamous "stuff".

Id be taking a serious look at the Helena job one of the posters mentioned. I'd be willing to bet, cold weather, snow, ice, Helena "metropolis" and all would be a d--m sight better fit for me (and probably you?) than Alabama. Of course, you might get more deer tags there.

Again, good luck.
Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/12/14.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have you left yet?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyper
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Your whiny post was also "unsolicited"
I wouldn't hire you to shovel out my barn

You have shown you're the "lowest form"

Save your witty reply, because I'll be adding you to my long ignore list

I will bet he is shaking in his boots from that threat crazy he might be grouchy but frustration will do that to a young man trying to find a dream job.

George I think you have some good advice here as well as some not so good. It might take a few leaps and bounds to get to that dream job and location. Might be best to pick up something better paying to use as a stepping stone. Take it one step at a time and try not to bite the hand that is trying to help you. There is information to be gleaned from everyone. Patience will benefit you.

BTW I remember being in your position. Now I am watching my oldest sone do the same. Keep your head up.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Valsdad,

I have no quarrels packing up what little 'stuff' I have and driving to Alaska, for a job. But it's another story to go up there with nothing lined up and no safety net. Is it possible, and have other people done it? I'm confident. Still a whisker outside of my comfort zone at present.

websterparish47,

I'm delighted for you that you were at one time so well compensated, especially given what nurses actually do. Yes, $27/hour plus four weeks paid vacation, excellent health insurance, 'retirement' plans, and other fringe benefits, it is most assuredly good compensation. Especially for an early twenty something with a 'lowly' arts degree and a good work ethic.
Please save the cynicism for somebody else, namely somebody who gives a flying [bleep].

Bama_Rick,

The first ticket I can punch, you'll hear the tires squealing on my truck from your house.

eh76,

Grouchy covers it, especially when one application takes forty minutes to complete. I've read What Color is Your Parachute, I've reverse interviewed at a few places and have been trying to complete a few more. It's a frustrating experience...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get.
Out.
Of.
Your.
Comfort.
Zone.

Dude, you're unattached, no kids. I really have no idea why you aren't loaded up and hitting the road a day ago.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, why are you posting this thread?

Do you want guys to hold your hand and say, "there, there, I understand.." Or do you want advice from those that have btdt?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
^
^

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.