Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?" Before I could stop myself, honesty struck; deep heartfelt honesty. My answer was Marooned by Pink Floyd. Immediately, I regretted my answer as it was inappropriate for the interview. My gut told me I'm all instrumental and no vocals in the south, all thunder and no fury, going through the motions. Marooned and imprisoned in the south.

I've had six face-to-face interviews this week, all of which have gone well. I've got an offer to start on Monday in a great job, for a great company, making over 50% more than my last job. Yet everything feels wrong. I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman. I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I being punished?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
George what is the type of work you do/want to do?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
First problem is that you are seeking a job where some idiot asks you to describe your life with a song title during the job interview.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
First problem is that you are seeking a job where some idiot asks you to describe your life with a song title during the job interview.

This. You will likely thank your lucky stars sometime in the future that you did NOT hire on with this outfit.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Looking for work (unsuccessfully as of now) after 25 years both man and boy with the same outfit.

You'll be fine, I'll be fine.....don't dazzle with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullchit (Casey Jones next time).

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This was the third interview at this particular company, and they were assessing cultural fit within the company. Strange questions are meant to catch you off guard I suppose.

Google asks candidates 'how many golf balls fit inside of a school bus?' to test their problem solving ability.

I'm looking for a job in Windows/System administration or preferably project management. I interview well, am clean cut and have an iron clad work ethic with a litany of examples to back it up.

I've interviewed (phone) for jobs in Steamboat Springs, Cortez, Glenwood Springs, Craig, Hayden and Denver in Colorado. I've had one interview for Juneau and one in Anchorage.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's no use. We've got you trapped down here and we ain't gonna let you go. You're in for life. wink

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Take he good paying job for two years. Use vacation time to look around for the job you want in the places you want.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

Maybe you should go back to school -
and take some music classes. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

and take some music classes.

Why thank you for your immense intellectual contribution. [bleep] idiot
Perhaps musical classicism escapes your neanderthal upbringings, but Pink Floyd is the pinnacle for progressive rock.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lay off the booze and GFY. Do us all a favor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a buddy who onetime answered the "what do you see yourself doing in five years" question with "I wanna be a rock-n-roll star!".

Didn't get the job....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Pink Floyd? Marooned?

and take some music classes.

Why thank you for your immense intellectual contribution. [bleep] idiot
Perhaps musical classicism escapes your neanderthal upbringings, but Pink Floyd is the pinnacle for progressive rock.

If, once you realized that your response to the question was not what it should have been, you responded to those conducting the interview in like fashion, perhaps that had some effect on the outcome.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking that "Sweet Home Alabama" would have been a better choice.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Next time reply: "Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto" and give him a wink. lol.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, but many just think Floyd = stoners. They don't "get it". These questions are really idiotic. You can measure fit in better ways. A friend of mine was once asked, "If you were a fruit, what would it be?" The answer of course, is "grape", since it shows you like to work with others and be part of a team. lol. What a joke.

Keep at it, George.

Skillset is only a small part of it. Luck, timing and fit are equally as important. Before interviewing I would always do as much research as possible on the company, the culture, and most importantly I would google the names of whomever I would have an appointment with. Getting to know the personality of the interviewers ahead of time will give you an edge over 95% of the other candidates.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Your whiny post was also "unsolicited"
I wouldn't hire you to shovel out my barn

You have shown you're the "lowest form"

Save your witty reply, because I'll be adding you to my long ignore list

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

Agreed, I would have either walked out, or just said "I have no response, may I have a serious question?"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine why he didn't get the job.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?" Before I could stop myself, honesty struck; deep heartfelt honesty. My answer was Marooned by Pink Floyd. Immediately, I regretted my answer as it was inappropriate for the interview. My gut told me I'm all instrumental and no vocals in the south, all thunder and no fury, going through the motions. Marooned and imprisoned in the south.

I've had six face-to-face interviews this week, all of which have gone well. I've got an offer to start on Monday in a great job, for a great company, making over 50% more than my last job. Yet everything feels wrong. I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman. I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I being punished?

Who the fug under 50 listens to pink floyd?

Leap and the net will appear.

Sack up, move where you want to live. Bartend, pound nails, live in your car, whatever you have to do to get roots down, while networking and beating the bushes. You'll find the job. Hopefully one without the idiot HR drones.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,877
Posts18,497,732
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.