Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Weird, since you solicited advice in the op...

Kent

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
George, you did ok with your title selection. I would have said Lunatic Fringe. With a big smile.

Ask me stupid questions...

Recalling a test the Army administered when I signed up. "would you rather darn socks or pick scabs?"

Of course I would.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?" Before I could stop myself, honesty struck; deep heartfelt honesty. My answer was Marooned by Pink Floyd. Immediately, I regretted my answer as it was inappropriate for the interview. My gut told me I'm all instrumental and no vocals in the south, all thunder and no fury, going through the motions. Marooned and imprisoned in the south.

I've had six face-to-face interviews this week, all of which have gone well. I've got an offer to start on Monday in a great job, for a great company, making over 50% more than my last job. Yet everything feels wrong. I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman. I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I being punished?

Who the fug under 50 listens to pink floyd?

Leap and the net will appear.

Sack up, move where you want to live. Bartend, pound nails, live in your car, whatever you have to do to get roots down, while networking and beating the bushes. You'll find the job. Hopefully one without the idiot HR drones.
If your domestic situation (single or wife/kids willing to move) allows go the place first and worry about the job later. You will be happier. My domestic situation led me away from where I want to be. While the job is fine and life is relatively good, I am not a happy person. I also like the 5 year plan. Another option, is to take the job with the pay raise for a few years and sock away the money to make the move easier financially. But if you feel trapped and you can get out! Trust me.

Last edited by pointer; 09/12/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My last employer asked the same question(about the song).

I asked them if they drug tested and the woman said why yes we do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And fuuck living somewhere that sucks.

Couldn't pay me $1 million a year to live in a city.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had to make the choice of decent job or quality of recreation about 13 years ago ... I chose the job and have regretted that decision every day since. Nothing gets your head right better than stepping out your door to unlimited outdoor adventures.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I made that same decision over forty years ago, and I haven't regretted mine grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
life's experiences prepare us for what awaits us in the future, I'm thinking next interview you'll be better prepared. This should help, no need to thank me.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
At George's age, I'd not take a job in an area that I couldn't save and invest at least 25k a year. Follow the money, get ahead, and reap the rewards when you are in your 40-60s. Delay gratification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll throw in my two cents and a way to address strange questions at future interviews.

Have a plan.

When all else fails speak the truth and then come up with a measured thought out response. Buy time by saying "That's an off the wall (or unusual) question." Then repeat the question "I've never thought about what song I'd use to describe my life. Hmmm. Let me think about that."

You could choose a different response but the object is to avoid blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. Be prepared with a generic answer to strange questions and you won't be caught off guard.

Good luck in the job search.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
And fuuck living somewhere that sucks.

Couldn't pay me $1 million a year to live in a city.

I'll take that job, since Sam don't want it. Of course, I'll only be there for 2 years, so let me start training my replacement now!

I'd move back to where I live now, and retire, with $1.5 million in the bank, I think I would do all right. grin

I've lived in some less than optimal places for work, but always with a plan for something better.

Place is important to me. Work is too, but when you start out as a ditch digger, there are a lot of options to improve ones quality of life!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
At George's age, I'd not take a job in an area that I couldn't save and invest at least 25k a year. Follow the money, get ahead, and reap the rewards when you are in your 40-60s. Delay gratification.

Take it from an old man. Don't delay gratification.

Life is the journey and not a destination. Goals are important but the life you live in getting there is far more important.

Deathbed questions ...

I wished I would have worked harder and had more things.

Or ...

I wish I would would done more hunting and fishing instead of chasing money.

There is a balance. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tomorrow is a promise to no man.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company,....

First sentence tells ya ol' George is just yankin our chain...

What's Radio Shack offering..?

wink grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep don't care who you are, that was TFF

well played DeerWhacker grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fishhead and Steelhead said it best.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy

Yep, they nailed it....

[b][color:#3333FF]Never know when[/color][/b] you're going to check out...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
5sdad,

Perhaps, when you realize your response was not what it should have been, you will grasp that unsolicited advice is the lowest form of conversation.

Seriously??

No wonder you can't find a phuggin job...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by Calvin

Take it from an old man. Don't delay gratification.

Life is the journey and not a destination. Goals are important but the life you live in getting there is far more important.

Deathbed questions ...

I wished I would have worked harder and had more things.

Or ...

I wish I would would done more hunting and fishing instead of chasing money.

There is a balance. smile

Last I checked, there are vacation days, cheap OTC tags, and a pile of public land to hunt and fish on. You can have it all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by seal_billy

Yep, they nailed it....

[b][color:#3333FF]Never know when[/color][/b] you're going to check out...

Thanks but I failed to mention THE MOST important thing in life.

Relationships with family and friends.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 63 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,177
Posts18,523,735
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.