Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've been to Montana a few times.

Outrageous scenery in the northwestern part of the state,..

I don't presume to have the ability to give anybody advice on much of anything,....but,..

Have you ever been to Montana?

It's area is a bit larger than Germany and it has a population of 1 million people.

The reason is winter.

It's got a badass winter.

In Elmer Keith's book, Hell, I Was There he has a photo of a cow that is frozen stiff and standing up.

The cattle had been crowded into a barn and there was just barely enough room in the barn for all of them. Some of those closest to the wall got frozen stiff just standing there.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
George, I certainly understand your hesitation to pack it up and go without a job/safety net. Except for the move to Central CA, all my moves involved having work lined up. That DOES make life easier. Oh, the move to N.Cal did not involve work, it involved learning how to live as a starving student again at nearly 40 years old. Only safety net was the possibility of grants and loans at school + whatever work I could find.

From the sounds of it, you'll do OK. Take a good chunk of that $27/hr off the top ( 1/4 to 1/3 if you can afford it) and put it into savings for when you do get a chance to move/retire to the mountains.

Again, good luck.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Get.
Out.
Of.
Your.
Comfort.
Zone.

Dude, you're unattached, no kids. I really have no idea why you aren't loaded up and hitting the road a day ago.

Comfort zone is one thing, but a finite pool of money won't last forever with no work up there. I'm hesitant to spend thousands of dollars going somewhere without work lined up first.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bristoe,

All the cold weather Alaska and North Dakota had to offer didn't scare me off, and neither will Flave as long as I can outrun him.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You're in Alabama getting offers to work in Alabama... If you were in Montana...
Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then rot where you are.

You know, most of the time, to get over a GD fence, you gotta take a couple of steps back.

Basically, you're acting like a girl right now. It's kinda embarrassing to see it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
George,

If you do move, you might want to consider leaving your vagina in Alabama.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
George,

If you do move, you might want to consider leaving your vagina in Alabama.

Travis

No way man. You get the whole package. laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You know what, what's the worst thing that could happen should I pack my schhit and drive up there?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
You know what, what's the worst thing that could happen should I pack my schhit and drive up there?

The Montana boys could make you develop a fetish for sheeps. grin

Remember ... resistance is not futile. Don't give into peer pressure and stay away from Ingwe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You won't know until you try it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate wondering what could have been....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right.. I've got a few of those rattling around in my head. And I hate them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Hate wondering what could have been....

That very thought/idea had a profound influence on my life.

I quit a secure good paying job to become a partner in a business that was in dire straights ... on the verge of bankruptcy.

I couldn't live with the thought that I didn't give it a shot and wonder the rest of my life "what could have been".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lay off the booze and GFY. Do us all a favor

With such great social and conversation skills, it is a small wonder you are having job problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, one thing's for sure, the odds are certainly against you ever being mauled by a grizz while archery hunting elk in Alabama.

I'd sure like to go back to my early twenties and get a "do over" so I could have left San Diego sooner. All the comments about staying and making money and using the 4 weeks vacation etc sound good, but then comes the:
girlfriend/wife/significant other, maybe kids (planned and UNPLANNED!),
probably a place of your own if you don't have one already (with lease or a mortgage! and real estate costs!),
maybe a new/newer truck or car, a boat, more friends, vested interest in your employement/retirement,
acquiring more "stuff".... the list continues.
It's sometimes called getting caught up in life. ( I have a brother who did, he's still in San Diego living with the traffic, crowds, crime etc. , and let's say "he has some regrets")

If you're serious about wanting to live "out west" don't get caught up in life in Alabama.

Maybe, just maybe the worst that could happen to you is that in a year or five you end up crawling back to Alabama, beaten and bloodied and BROKE, but proud you took a chance, saying you had a hell of a time, and wondering how long it'll take you to get a grubstake together so you can do it again. (and that's not such a bad outcome, is it?)

Good luck George, and did anything become of that job in Helena I saw a few post back?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A wise man once confessed to me that his only pet peeve was 'Stupid, because you can't fix stupid.' I hold no quarter for undue cynicism or tomfoolery. If I wanted to hear it, I would call my brother's liberal atheist wife.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Valsdad,

I applied for the job up in Helena, so now it's just a waiting game. I've broken out the fabled pen & paper to crunch driving up there. Let's just say no idea is off the table at the present.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Well, one thing's for sure, the odds are certainly against you ever being mauled by a grizz while archery hunting elk in Alabama.

I'd sure like to go back to my early twenties and get a "do over" so I could have left San Diego sooner. All the comments about staying and making money and using the 4 weeks vacation etc sound good, but then comes the:
girlfriend/wife/significant other, maybe kids (planned and UNPLANNED!),
probably a place of your own if you don't have one already (with lease or a mortgage! and real estate costs!),
maybe a new/newer truck or car, a boat, more friends, vested interest in your employement/retirement,
acquiring more "stuff".... the list continues.
It's sometimes called getting caught up in life. ( I have a brother who did, he's still in San Diego living with the traffic, crowds, crime etc. , and let's say "he has some regrets")

If you're serious about wanting to live "out west" don't get caught up in life in Alabama.

Maybe, just maybe the worst that could happen to you is that in a year or five you end up crawling back to Alabama, beaten and bloodied and BROKE, but proud you took a chance, saying you had a hell of a time, and wondering how long it'll take you to get a grubstake together so you can do it again. (and that's not such a bad outcome, is it?)

Good luck George, and did anything become of that job in Helena I saw a few post back?

Geno

Yeah, San Diego sucks. crazy

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,195
Posts18,524,073
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.