Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company,....

First sentence tells ya ol' George is just yankin our chain...

What's Radio Shack offering..?

wink grin

You got me here. 'Radio Shack' is offering about 27/hour with four weeks vacation and respectable benefits. Only in America could someone scoff at such a nice offer.

Originally Posted by seal_billy
Fishhead and Steelhead said it best.

Yep, they nailed it....

[b][color:#3333FF]Never know when[/color][/b] you're going to check out...

Died coming and going at the same time, as Richard Pryor would say.

Rooster7,
I've no trouble finding a job, nor turning one down. Twenty interviews and multiple offers in a month must be a poor result for my 'effort'. blush Shame they've all been in alabama

To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sorry George, Stick was in there interviewing before you and they asked him the same question. He said it was "I'm a little tea pot" and got the job.

Better luck next time.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh I got a hearty chuckle out of that one.

I've been saving this gem from the interview, 'If you could have one superpower, what would it be?' I about died laughing when they asked me that.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

You got me here. 'Radio Shack' is offering about 27/hour with four weeks vacation and respectable benefits. Only in America could someone scoff at such a nice offer.

What does it take you a year to live on? Can you live at home? You could save at least 25k a year, buy and old Taco and hunt/fish the west for those 4 weeks a year. Not to mention what you can do on a weekend.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I desperately want to live in the mountains where I can hunt, fish, hike, ski, and work like a madman.

This is the nub of the thing, right? You don't just want to hunt and fish in the mountains on vacation days, right? You want to reside in the mountains, to wake up each morning and see the mountains from your front door.

In that case, any advice to take a high-paying job where you don't want to live, and defer gratification until you're retired is not helpful. Ignore that.

Pick the place you want and go there. Don't wait. Go now. Take the first job that comes your way and live in a trailer if you have to. The mountains shine just as bright from the front door of a single-wide. Keep working. You'll get better jobs. Marry a Montana girl.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
George You have been good to help this OLD MAN out with my lack of PC skills so The Best Advice I can give is Get the HELL out of this Damn Hell hole as soon as you can or you will wind up
TRAPPED here like I did all those years ago!
Alabama THE ARM PIT of America!
AMRA

Molan Labe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by AMRA
George You have been good to help this OLD MAN out with my lack of PC skills so The Best Advice I can give is Get the HELL out of this Damn Hell hole as soon as you can or you will wind up
AMRA

You've obviously not spent much time in Indiana...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AMRA

Funny that you mention armpit.

I went to high school in Redding Ca (N CA) and we referred to it as the armpit of the Sacramento Valley. It's surrounded on three sides by mountains and it's literally an armpit when it comes to weather.

It's nasty hot in the summertime with typically a week + of temps over 110 degrees. cry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company,....

First sentence tells ya ol' George is just yankin our chain...

What's Radio Shack offering..?

wink grin

Originally Posted by seal_billy
Fishhead and Steelhead said it best.

Yep, they nailed it....

[b][color:#3333FF]Never know when[/color][/b] you're going to check out...

Died coming and going at the same time, as Richard Pryor would say.

Rooster7,
I've no trouble finding a job, nor turning one down. Twenty interviews and multiple offers in a month must be a poor result for my 'effort'. blush Shame they've all been in alabama

To all,
Packing up and moving, anyplace for that matter, is easy to preach but more difficult to put into practice. Certainly as Sean Connery has said in The Edge, 'What one man can do, another can do', but sentiments and well wishing don't pay the bills.

I've done it twice. It's scary. It's hard..

But you can make it work if you're not a pussy.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
AMRA

Or New Jersey.

In my opinion, if you are within a 2 day drive (hard drive) of good OTC hunting, life doesn't suck too bad. 4 weeks of vacation.. damn, you could hunt the [bleep] out of colorado every year with that. You just have to picture yourself in 5-10 years with 150-400k squirreled away making 8% in closed end mutual funds and the possibilities you will have for the rest of your life. You could pull it out and go buy a house with cash in an awesome area and work a job you really want to do. You have no idea the freedom that gives you, until you have it. FWIW.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George,

I work where ever there is internet.

Think about that a moment.

Do they have internet in Alaska? yep...

Do they have internet in MT? sure do...

We're hiring. PM me already ya slacker! smile

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?".

The correct response would be:

"That's the gayest fuggin' question I've ever been asked in a job interview."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I was in a job interview this afternoon for a prominent Alabama tech company, and they asked me "If you could describe your life with a song title, what would it be and why?".

The correct response would be:

"That's the gayest fuggin' question I've ever been asked in a job interview."

What if he would answered with YMCA?

They'd have to hire you or it would be discrimination based on sexual preferences.

Go gay George and be PC at all times during the next interview.

We'll get this job thing figgered out. grin

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Sometimes I lament the career path I've chosen,...and then sometimes I realize that I could be asked in job interviews to describe my life with a song title.

I'd rather have the interviewer ask me if I could chase a thread on a manual lathe,..then spit tobacco juice in the chip tray.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
AMRA

We have issues, it's true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AMRA

Hey! wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
George,

I work where ever there is internet.

Think about that a moment.

Do they have internet in Alaska? yep...

As las says, the electrons are brought in one at a time.

At gunpoint.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've applied to over 100 jobs, mostly in Colorado, Alaska and a few in Montana. I've talked with over twenty headhunters across three states. I've searched religiously for jobs every day in over thirty cities in five states. I check Monster, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, JobHunter, ZipRecruiter, Craigslist, local school district websites in every city, every day, and more. But for all of my effort, all of twenty interviews over the last month, all I can reel in are jobs in Birmingham.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes - you've made a career of looking for a job instead of actually working one. Put down some stakes somewhere and succeed for a few years. If you're good, good jobs will find you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not that bad. Get real.

Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE) ships fresh electrons from the lower 48 to Anchorage twice a week.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I had another interview this afternoon with a large semi-national bank, which went well. Still, they asked me two questions which will get the juices flowing with the curmudgeons here.

1. Pirates vs. Ninjas, who wins?

2. Tell me a joke, any joke, but make me laugh.

No tomfoolery here, a fortune 100 company really asked me in an interview ^^

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,185
Posts18,523,843
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.