"There are still a few of us graybeards left in the state, however, who are unwilling to sacrifice the marginal advantage offered by our .416s and 458s. When dealing with dangerous game as large, impressively quick and intelligent as brown bears any advantage can mean the difference between hiring a taxidermist or a surgeon. As anyone who has experience in mortal combat or even a dust-up on the school yard can tell you, stunning or dropping your adversary a fraction of a second quicker or keeping them down a second longer can be a tremendous advantage. It is the best I can offer to describe the elusive big-bore "knockdown power that hunters, soldiers and ballistitians have striven so long to quantify, and for the reason for the continual fascination of powerful, large-bore rifles."

'Buffalo is the one species where you can use a rifle that possesses real stopping power. Hit them with a .500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs, and they will stop, even if the shot isnt instantly fatal. It is quite impressive to see the way they rear up on taking a hit with a good soft point from one of these rounds. However, I have never seen a 470 Nitro Express or 458 Lott be any more effective than my 9.3.

Generally clients are advised to bring a 375 H&H, as they are most likely to shoot this better than something bigger, and then the PH doesnt have to shoot their game for them. Without a doubt a well placed first shot negates the need for stopping power. For the PH, though, the choice isnt always obvious. A few of us have always used a relatively smallbore-a 9.3 or 375- but most have gone to the 458 Lott. I can see no advantage in this, however as i get older (and slower) and the ammunition supply has greatly improved, I am having a good look at the Blaser R8 in 500 Jeffery."

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books