Originally Posted by smokepole

If you're contemplating a 500 yard shot, you really need to develop the capability to figure this out for yourself.

Or to put it another way, you shouldn't rely on someone else to figure it out for you.

Sometimes you just have to try for a long shot, and for this reason I practice and practice and practice, and I am shooting my 7x65R K95 kipplauf twice every week from field positions. This is Friday's attempt at 550yds, lying over my pack (1" grid):
[Linked Image]

I would have guessed I am developing my capabilities correctly and that there was nothing wrong seeking for technical advise here, as there are very knowledgeable posters willing to help...

I prefer to get close as for me the challenge a difficult approach offers is more interesting than an aseptic 700yd shot. But this is just my personal preference and I fully respect others' preferences.

As an example, this photo is from where we spotted my Blue Sheep. I was hunting in the Himalayas, in Nepal:
[Linked Image]

I could have put it down with a 700yd shot, I think, but I'd rather try getting closer and making it more "personal". So we were on the move
[Linked Image]

We went over a saddle at 16,400ft:
[Linked Image]

And, finally, almost too late into the day, and too far from my tent, I could take my shot at 250. With this result.
[Linked Image]

At 55, I can't cope very well with anybody telling me what I should or should not do, but let us leave it there.

Alvaro