different strokes for different folks

disclaimer: I've not used Event type stuff.

but I've done a fair amount of high country hunting

one of the keys to backpack hunting ime, is multi use gear.

I carry a silnylon poncho for the occasional siwash, to use as something to lay pieces of freshly butchered meat on etc.

in a heavy rain, sitting and glassing on goes the rain gear, for me Red Ledge top, frog togg bottoms, and then the poncho goes on over it along with my pack underneath the poncho. you can stay pretty dang dry for a good while in that setup.

if I'm hiking on the approach...or worse, hauling out meat, and it's raining hard, I zip the legs off my Cabela's supplex nylon pants and stuff them in the pack, don the poncho and am now just wearing shorts with long handles covering my legs. Wool tops for anything other than sheep hunting for me, poly pro on the bottom, all poly is sheep hunting due to weight. Ankle gaiters over my boots.

lots of breathability, some protection from rain, you're still gonna sweat though.

again ime, if you're packin or working hard, you're gonna get wet, either from rain or sweat, I prefer sweat, but will take the rain on my legs, the polypros dry out fast ime.

none of the stuff I use is way pricey, but it works for me.

just an alternative way of doing things.

slip the poncho on, lots of breathability

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.