I'm not a smith but I have a few I like to use. RW Snyder for example with single point true your action and install the barrel for a total of $250. He charges $225 just to install a barrel on a custom action. So his truing is $25. It includes single point squaring the bolt face, recutting the threads oversized.010", squaring the lugs and lug abutments, truing the bolt face and nose.

Plan on another $35 for an oversized lug with oversized bore and another $10 if you want it pinned. So $70 gets you a trued and functional action without some of the other features you get with a custom.

Customs are nice and I own a few. They also resale better. I just don't always need a side bolt release and a fluted bolt. I'm often happy with less bling as long as it shoots well and functions. I know that if your not careful you can put enough money into a rem to buy a custom. But with customs now starting at $1000 and going up from there I'm starting to prefer the truing option.

There is also a decent looking group buy on snipers hide where you can get a remmy trued pretty reasonable. If I could still get stillers for the $750 range I'd buy some more. But, I've found some nice used 700's lately for under $300 and after I sell off the parts it puts me in an action pretty cheap.

Bb