Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You folks eat those big browns??? Just wondering.. I practice a lot of catch and filet!!!!

Nope, we don't eat the browns. Ingwewife likes brookies�..I don't eat any fish with fins. And yes we use spin tackle, and I do use the same tackle on pike. My fave is a 5.5 ft. ultralight with an Shimano 750 Sedona on it. This is filled with #10 fire line and used for everything. The fire line has no stretch so you are able to set the bigger hooks into pike.As for the #10 line, its only 3 lb. diameter, and you'll break the rod long before you break the line. Landing them on a UL takes no longer in my opinion, and is a lot easier to wield on a long 100+ pike day.
For rods I prefer shimano but have used WW Griggs,Fenwick and a few others. ( Yes, I DO take spare rods when pike fishing�and need them once in awhile!) The Sedona for a reel has been great�I would buy the next step up in Shimano if they made one that size�but they go to 1000 in the better reels, and I just plain don't need one that big.

Close-up of current outfit�.

[Linked Image]

Same one was used to catch these pike�last month.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And a couple hundred more like them! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe