Had the opportunity to go out elk hunting yesterday. Utah's spike season had been open for 6 days, but this was opening morning for myself. The night before I drove to the hunting grounds and slept in the truck.

As morning hit I made my way to a lookout point. Elk were bugling periodically as I noticed an elk walking on a distant ridge. I quickly headed over and was pleased to see it was a spike.

I didn't have a rangefinder, but guessed it to be around 400 yards. Not knowing exact yards and not able to get a good rest I elected to pass for the moment. The elk walked in the trees and I began to wait hoping they would hit another clearing closer to me. After a few wheelers pulled in below me I decided to go in the trees.

I could smell elk and not long after I heard some trees break to my left. As I looked a spike was walking towards me at 10 yards. He turned and angled in front of me. I barely had time to put in my ear protection and crank my scope to low power (which I had forgot to do earlier) when he hit a small opening 15 yards in front of me. One shot and a few steps later he was down.

[Linked Image]

Field dressing and packing out an elk by yourself is a lot of work. Luckily I'll have these two little ones to help me in the years to come. They are elk lovers.

[Linked Image]

And the view looking back up the mountain after everything was loaded back in the truck.

[Linked Image]