Originally Posted by CCCC
In this case, a Rock River .223. for uses other than normal hunting. Not seeking long explanations - would like to know the chosen equipment and reasons.

Which scope would you mount, how, and why? Thanks.

Paul, the Nightforces are fine, but spendy, costing more than the rifle.

For a general purpose scope, a Leupold VX-R in either 1.25-4, 2-7, or 3x9 is a moderately priced, quality scope, and it has the firedot illuminated dot in the center, if you need to fix a problem in low light. Pick the one that makes the most sense for you. You can also get a Leupold Mark 6 in 1x6, which is an impressive, but likewise spendy scope, and it has a 34mm tube, which is bulky.

The nice part about AR's and their Picatinny rails is you can use a quick detachable mount, swap optics for different situations, and the zero will normally hold within 1 MOA or so. LaRue make a good one, as do other folks, but they are not cheap, either. If you find a scope that you're content to leave on all the time, then a QD mount is not required, and any good mount is fine. Leupold has one that is fairly nice looking but others may be fine, too.

I've got this 1.25-4 VX-R in a Leupold mount on this Armalite .308. Eventually I think I will put a bigger scope on it, but that's down the road.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."