OldRooster;
Thanks for your input here sir, I appreciate your candor and reading your experiences with the different cartridges.

As a bit of back fill for you or anyone else reading this morning, the rifle in question was a 1903 built Carl Gustav that I purchased for something under $60 from Century Arms in Montreal in 1984. We'd moved out here to BC where my folks lived at the time and my father had expressed interest in hunting with me but no longer had a rifle.

Though $60 was a lot of money for us then, my understanding wife supported the project and allowed me the time and leeway in our busy schedules to cobble this rifle together for my father.

This is him on the day I completed it - might be '85 by then I can't recall.
[Linked Image]

Back in those pre-internet days there wasn't much information on the Swede and we were both pleasantly surprised with how it performed on the local whitetail and mulie bucks we chased. I recall Dad's comment when I hit a meat mulie buck with my new .338 Win Mag and it didn't knock it off it's feet or for that matter seem to change it's leisurely gait much at all.... it wasn't a compliment to my new rifle anyway....... laugh

In the fullness of time Dad's health no longer permitted him to hunt and he gave the little carbine back to me, requesting that I give it to one of his grandchildren someday. As it turned out it was our eldest daughter who spotted it in the safe one day and claimed it.

I believe she's taken at least 8 local mulie and whitetail bucks with it - each taking exactly one shot each.

This is her last year's buck which turned out to be one of the fattest carcasses I've ever handled in a lifetime of hunting. It went 149lb into the cooler so I'd guess at least a 3rd rack buck.
[Linked Image]

We've yet to get a range finder, but lets just say I asked her twice if she was confident in hitting this buck as it was across a fairly wide draw from us. The bullet hit a rib on entry, then traversed the lower lungs and top aorta, took out another rib and then completely smashed the big joint between the scapula and ulna before hitting the mountainside beyond.

I just shook my head as we were walking over to it and had to agree with her assessment when she said, "Man does this thing ever work!" grin

Thanks for reading sir, thanks again for your input and all the best to you this fall in your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"