Originally Posted by Sheister
Talked to a smith yesterday about the 26 Nosler I am going to have him build and he was telling me that now that they have some experience with the round, they are finding the barrels are only lasting 400-600 rounds before shot out.
They just received a new reamer with different throating geometry that is supposed to raise this to around 1,000 rounds. Time will tell. Should be starting on my rifle sometime in November if all goes well.
I'll be curious to see how yours does and your loading specs. Mine will be a hunting rifle, so I will most likely be using the Nosler 129ABLR and the 140, though I may try the Bergers for work up as the smith says they have had excellent results with them.

http://www.nwactionworks.com/#!barreled-actions/c23j7

Bob

Interesting project, for sure. Keep us in the loop.

Yesterday, I received an email from Berger. I asked if they had a 140 Hunting VLD load for the 26 Nosler. They had one, a mild US-869 load, maxed at 3,150 fps. Nosler has a 3,300 fps load with 869 for their 140 AB. The Berger 140, with less bearing surface, should theoretically be a faster bullet than the 140 NAB, or so it would seem.

Then, it dawned on me. They are wanting to keep their 140 Hunting VLD below 3,200 fps. Some .264 WM fire members have cautioned against pushing the Hunting 140 VLD over 3,200 fps, which may be the design ceiling for that bullet.

I sent Berger a follow up email, asking if their Target VLD with its thicker jacket would be a better choice above 3,200 fps. To my surprise, their reply was, if I could safely get the velocity above their 3,150 max (which I can easily to), the Target VLD may be a better choice than the thinner jacketed Hunting VLD. Wonder what the design ceiling of the Target VLD may be?

So, there. You have it from the source.

DF