I'm kind of stuck with a 45 caliber Knight muzzleloader for sentimental reasons.

Anyway, in years past, I have used the 200 grain Hornady SST bullet/sabot combination. On paper, they shoot very well, but on whitetails, I got complete penetration but they seem to expand little, if at all. Blood trails were minimal and every time I used them, I had to get my reading glasses out to look for specks of blood. (small exaggeration, there.)

So this year I elected to try the 180 grain Speer Gold Dot in brown Knight sabots. Again, accuracy was good on paper and yesterday, I had a chance to try them out on whitetails.

I shot a couple does, and recovered both, but again blood trails were sparse. Neither bullet penetrated completely and blood trail was non existent

I guess I am still trying to find a bullet that works like I want it to out of a 45 caliber muzzleloader. I'm sure that one of you guys has figured out the 45 issue.

I'd appreciate you letting me know what you use.

Thanks,
CT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CrimsonTide; 10/19/14.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis