That sure is a sweet EW buddy. I can see your point. However, I was in the same boat and chose a pre 64 fwt over an EW just like yours. I thought I'd end up loving my EW and selling the rest of my rifles, but that was not the case. I took my pre 64 30-06 fwt, my classic sporter, and my EW out and did extensive tests with them and ended up keeping the classic and pre 64 and selling the EW to someone that would appreciate it more than I did. Here's mine as it was when I sold it to 444Matt here for $1,500.00:

[Linked Image]

I think the OP is on the right track looking for a good ol classic. My classic sporter is my main deer hunting rifle. It's one of those rifles that I can always count on. Funny thing is, right before opening day I took it out to make sure it was still dialed in. I fired off 5 shots and the first 4 cloverleafed (actually made 1 ragged hole) and the last shot was out of the group by about 1/2". I put the rifle away and went to work on my friends rifle. My friend procrastinates and waited for the last minute to put a scope on his 270w. We dialed in his rifle and he ended up shooting a buck this year with my handloads in his rifle. I'm hoping the OP finds what he is looking for and I don't think he'll be disappointed in the classic stainless fwt. That's an excellent choice as far as I'm concerned..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA