A common misconception is that the 45-70 was used as a buffalo hunting gun that led to the demise of the herds. Fact is that almost all of the buffalo were dead a decade before the 45-70 was invented in 1873. While buffalo hunters took a lot, an extended drought in the 1850's and 1860's took most. Laws were passed in 1874 banning buffalo hunting to preserve the handful left.

It was developed as a military round and used during the indian wars giving slightly more power and range than the 45 colt revolvers. It was considered a borderline hunting cartridge in it's day and not used often. The 30-30 when invented was considered an improvement. By the 1890's it was all but dead. It lay dormant and almost unused until revived by Marlin along with some colorful advertising in the early 1970's.

With the fairly recent development of much hotter loads it has become a legitimate big game round. But any colorful history as a hunting round is mostly fiction. I'd not be surprised if more game had been killed with 45-70 in the 21st century than in the 19th and 20th centuries combined.

I owned one from 1976 up until 4-5 years ago when I finally sold it. For deer/black bear size game I'd just as soon use a 30-30. If you start talking about bigger bear, moose, elk, etc., I have no doubt it is a little better if the hotter loads are used. Probably no better, maybe less effective, if the old black powder equivalent loads are used.

But recoil is impressive with those loads, exceeding 375 mag recoil. I've seen no proof that it is any better killer of the big stuff than a heavy loaded 30-06 with far less recoil. If I'm getting 375 mag recoil, I'd rather have a 375. That is why I no longer own a 45-70.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.